Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meassuring Resistance under water?

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    Hey,

So as part of a experiment I am curious to be able to measure the resistance of a wire as I joule heat it under water to be able to get a steady state temp vs current. My thought is to attach electrodes to a metal wire to put a current across it and measure a voltage drop(4 point probe). I would likely use insulated leads attached to the wire that i want to measure. Additionally I would put the wire in distilled water when I make the measurements. So my thought is that since the resistance of the water is so much greater than that of the water I should be able to get a relatively accurate measurements. Does this make sense or am I missing something.

Thanks
    Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Makes perfect sense, except for the simple typo in your next to last sentence. You should be fine.

4. Apr 21, 2010 #3
    sense instead of since? not the first time and I actually meant to type it that way.
    Thanks
    Matt

5. Apr 21, 2010 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your typo was saying that you plan to compare the resistance of the water to the water (itself).

6. Apr 21, 2010 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, change the 2nd water --> resistor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook