Calculating Mass Without Gravitational Force

In summary, the mass of a body can be measured by using a spring balance or two-pan balance scale. The mass will be the same at all heights, even if you are weightless in outer space. The restoring force of the spring is the force that will oscillate the body hanging on a spring.
Infinite/Zero
We all can measure the mass of a body by any common instrument like Spring Balance.
But if we go from one place to another place the gravitational force will change,
like if we go from 1st floor to 10th floor or from coastal region to plateau region.
The gravitational force depend on the height.
Is there any way to calculate mass of a body without gravitational force ?
Please tell me if i am wrong, i will be thankful to you.
If i am not wrong than please answer me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only 'invariant' way to define mass is using the stress energy tensor.

Using gravitation, m=F/g.

Use m = F/a, whereby if one can set up a system to determine the force F and the acceleration a, then surely the mass m can be calculated.

You can measure mass by means of its inertia, or with a force balance.

Likes 1 person
Thank you all o:)

Can you please explain me "stress energy tensor" .

Actually, you may still use the mass-spring system to measure the mass if you simply measure the period of oscillation, which depends only on the ratio of k/m. Moving to a place with different g only changes the equilibrium position, not the period.

Zz.

What do you mean by k/m ?
please tell me.

Infinite/Zero said:
What do you mean by k/m ?
please tell me.

The strength of a spring is described by a quantity called its "spring constant", traditionally written as ##k##. If an object is hanging from a spring and you start it oscillating, the time for each oscillation will be ##\sqrt{k/m}## where ##k## is the spring constant and ##m## is the mass (not the weight!) of the object.

Thus, we can find the mass by hanging the object from a spring of known strength and measuring the time for one oscillation.

Thanks Nugatory for responding my question.
Can your method of measuring mass of a body will give a constant mass at different hight from Earth ?
Is it related to gravity ?

Infinite/Zero said:
Can your method of measuring mass of a body will give a constant mass at different hight from Earth ?

It will give the same mass reading at all heights, and even if you are weightless in outer space.

It's actually a specific example of the general approach that 256bits suggested back in #2 of this thread: "Use m = F/a, whereby if one can set up a system to determine the force F and the acceleration a, then surely the mass m can be calculated."

Nugatory said:
and even if you are weightless in outer space.
Which force will oscillate the body hanging on a spring in outer space ?

The second method m=F/a is good. Thanks :cool:

Another way to do it is to use a two-pan balance scale that doesn't involve a spring. Here you use calibrated masses on one side of the scale to balance your unknown mass on the other side of the scale. This works on the top of a mountain, or at sea level. This is how we used to do it in chemistry lab back in the day.

Chet

Thanks Zapperz:zzz:

Infinite/Zero said:

At Christmas time in the space station, when the Astronauts (Cosmonauts?) give each other presents wrapped up in boxes, they can get a clue about what's inside. They can shake the presents to get an idea of their mass (is it a cuddly toy or a bottle of Vodka?), even though the presents will both float in front of them. They are unconsciously using the equation F = ma to estimate the value of mass: more mass is harder to shake.

1. What is the formula for calculating mass without gravitational force?

The formula for calculating mass without gravitational force is mass = (force x distance) / acceleration.

2. Why is it important to calculate mass without gravitational force?

Calculating mass without gravitational force allows scientists to understand and analyze the effects of other forces on an object's mass. It can also help in understanding the properties of materials and their behavior in different environments.

3. Can mass be calculated without knowing the gravitational force?

Yes, mass can be calculated without knowing the gravitational force if other forces acting on the object are known.

4. How does calculating mass without gravitational force differ from calculating mass with gravitational force?

Calculating mass without gravitational force involves factoring in other forces, such as friction or tension, while calculating mass with gravitational force only considers the force of gravity.

5. What units are used to measure mass without gravitational force?

The units used to measure mass without gravitational force are the same as those used to measure mass with gravitational force, such as kilograms or grams. The difference lies in the calculation of mass without the influence of gravitational force.