1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement for a particle in a box

1. May 23, 2008 #1
    It is known that a particle in a one dimensional box with walls at (-a/2, +a/2) has energy probabilities:
    P(E1) = 1/3, P(E2) = 1/3, P(E,3) = 1/3, P(En) = 0 for all other n. If the parity of the state is measured and +1 is found, what can you say about the value of the measurement of E sometime later?

The eigenstates of the particle in a box are root(2/a) sin(n*pi*x/a) for even n and root(2/a) cos(n*pi*x/a) for odd n.

So I wrote down the initial state as a linear combination of eigenstates of the Hamilitonian corresponding to n = 1, 2, 3 each with coefficient 1/root3. Now, since the measured parity was +1, the wavefunciton must be in an eigenstate of the parity operator with eigenvalue +1. The parity operator and Hamiltonian commute for this system so I can use the Hamiltonian eigenstates. My question is, does the wavefunction now have to be in a linear combination of eigenstates for n = 1 and n = 3 since those were the original even eigenfunctions used in the expression of the wavefunction? Or is it in a linear combination of all even eigenstates of the Hamiltonian?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If |psi> is the state before the parity measurement, then immediately after the parity measurement, the state of system is the (normalized) projection of |psi> into the subspace of all even parity states.

What is this projection?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?