Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement of relativistic effects from a non-inertial frame

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1
    I was just thinking about this, and from a perspective of an inertial frame, it's easy to see how distances contract, times dilate, simultaneity varies between observer and the speed of light is exactly c in each case.

But what about non-inertial frames? In the presence of gravity almost every frame is accelerated, even if we don't take GR in account so my question is what is the speed of light in those frames, and how do relativistic effects look like from the perspective of non-inertial frames, including velocities, simultaneity, time dilation and length contraction? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jun 29, 2014 #3

ghwellsjr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You already asked this very same question in your first thread on this forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=737545

Why don't you go back and study that thread until you can understand the help you were given there? If you still have questions, I think it would make more sense to continue the conversation in that thread rather than start all over again in this thread, don't you agree?

5. Jun 29, 2014 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Not to sound rude or anything, but in all this time have you yet bought a textbook on advanced SR? A forum can only do so much. You need a textbook if you want to properly understand the answers to your questions at a deep level. If you think you can learn about non-inertial frames in SR purely from the explanations of others then you are mistaken.

6. Jun 29, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I dunno - it is possible to learn solely from the explanations of others ... it's a well worn model of education. Getting that quality of explanation without paying for it is unusual. The explainer usually likes to see some effort too. Evidence of learning and so on.

Anyway - that sort of detail would amount to tutoring or lecturing - not really what PF is for.

7. Jun 29, 2014 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

The postulates of relativity specifically refer to inertial frames, so non inertial frames are not constrained to follow them.

The exact details will depend on the details of the specific frame in question, and are a pain to calculate explicitly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook