Measurement of relativistic effects from a non-inertial frame

In summary: However, in general, the speed of light in non-inertial frames is faster than c. relativistic effects look different from the perspective of non-inertial frames, including velocities, simultaneity, time dilation and length contraction.
johnny_bohnny
I was just thinking about this, and from a perspective of an inertial frame, it's easy to see how distances contract, times dilate, simultaneity varies between observer and the speed of light is exactly c in each case.

But what about non-inertial frames? In the presence of gravity almost every frame is accelerated, even if we don't take GR in account so my question is what is the speed of light in those frames, and how do relativistic effects look like from the perspective of non-inertial frames, including velocities, simultaneity, time dilation and length contraction? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
johnny_bohnny said:
I was just thinking about this, and from a perspective of an inertial frame, it's easy to see how distances contract, times dilate, simultaneity varies between observer and the speed of light is exactly c in each case.

But what about non-inertial frames? In the presence of gravity almost every frame is accelerated, even if we don't take GR in account so my question is what is the speed of light in those frames, and how do relativistic effects look like from the perspective of non-inertial frames, including velocities, simultaneity, time dilation and length contraction? Thanks
You already asked this very same question in your first thread on this forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=737545

Why don't you go back and study that thread until you can understand the help you were given there? If you still have questions, I think it would make more sense to continue the conversation in that thread rather than start all over again in this thread, don't you agree?

johnny_bohnny said:
...so my question is what is the speed of light in those frames, and how do relativistic effects look like from the perspective of non-inertial frames, including velocities, simultaneity, time dilation and length contraction? Thanks

Not to sound rude or anything, but in all this time have you yet bought a textbook on advanced SR? A forum can only do so much. You need a textbook if you want to properly understand the answers to your questions at a deep level. If you think you can learn about non-inertial frames in SR purely from the explanations of others then you are mistaken.

I don't know - it is possible to learn solely from the explanations of others ... it's a well worn model of education. Getting that quality of explanation without paying for it is unusual. The explainer usually likes to see some effort too. Evidence of learning and so on.

Anyway - that sort of detail would amount to tutoring or lecturing - not really what PF is for.

johnny_bohnny said:
But what about non-inertial frames?
The postulates of relativity specifically refer to inertial frames, so non inertial frames are not constrained to follow them.

The exact details will depend on the details of the specific frame in question, and are a pain to calculate explicitly.

1. What is a non-inertial frame?

A non-inertial frame is a reference frame that is accelerating or rotating. In contrast, an inertial frame is a reference frame that is not accelerating or rotating, and in which Newton's laws of motion hold true.

2. How do relativistic effects differ in a non-inertial frame compared to an inertial frame?

In a non-inertial frame, the laws of physics, including the principles of relativity, may appear different due to the acceleration or rotation of the frame. This can lead to apparent changes in the measurements of time, distance, and other physical quantities.

3. What are some examples of non-inertial frames?

Examples of non-inertial frames include a car accelerating, a merry-go-round rotating, or a rocket launching into space. Any frame that is accelerating or rotating can be considered a non-inertial frame.

4. How do scientists measure relativistic effects in a non-inertial frame?

Scientists use various methods and instruments, such as clocks and lasers, to measure the effects of acceleration and rotation on the laws of physics. They may also use mathematical equations, such as the principles of relativity, to calculate and predict these effects.

5. Why is it important to study the measurement of relativistic effects from a non-inertial frame?

Understanding how relativistic effects change in a non-inertial frame is crucial for accurately predicting and interpreting measurements in various fields, such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and particle physics. This knowledge also helps us better understand the fundamental principles of relativity and the behavior of the universe.