Measuring advancing contact angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to measure the advancing contact angle of a liquid on a solid for a project. Two methods, the dynamic sessile drop method and the modified dynamic Wilhelmy method, are mentioned as ways to measure the dynamic contact angles. However, there is confusion about whether these methods measure the same thing, as one involves the liquid advancing or receding on the solid and the other involves the solid moving into the liquid. The conversation also questions the relevance of the capillary number for these measurements.
Experience111
Hi everyone !

I'm currently working on a project for which I need to measure the advancing contact angle of a liquid on a solid, specifically the advancing contact angle of a molten thermoplastic on carbon fibers.

My understanding is that there is a difference between dynamic contact angles and contact angles at rest. I know of two methods to measure the dynamic contact angles : the dynamic sessile drop method and the modified dynamic Wilhelmy method.

However, these two methods look like they measure something different to me : in the sessile drop method the liquid is advancing (or receding) on the solid, and in the Wilhelmy method, the solid (fiber in my case) is advancing or receding into the liquid.

So my question to you is : is what we call the advancing contact angle measured using these two methods the same ? Or is the advancing contact angle different depending on if the solid is moving into the liquid or the liquid on the solid ?

Thanks for your answers ! :smile:

NB : Not sure if I should have posted this in Classical Physics instead of General Physics, let me know if I did something wrong !

Experience111 said:
However, these two methods look like they measure something different to me : in the sessile drop method the liquid is advancing (or receding) on the solid, and in the Wilhelmy method, the solid (fiber in my case) is advancing or receding into the liquid.

Given that the capillary number for these measurements is very low, why do you think it matters?

1. What is advancing contact angle?

Advancing contact angle is a measurement used in surface science to determine the degree of wetting of a liquid on a solid surface. It is the angle between the solid surface and the tangent to the liquid droplet at the point where the droplet meets the solid surface.

2. How is advancing contact angle measured?

Advancing contact angle is typically measured using an instrument called a contact angle goniometer. This instrument uses a camera to capture an image of a liquid droplet on a solid surface, and software analyzes the image to calculate the contact angle.

3. What factors can affect advancing contact angle measurements?

Several factors can impact advancing contact angle measurements, including the properties of the liquid and solid surfaces, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the droplet size and shape. It is important to carefully control these variables in order to obtain accurate and reproducible measurements.

4. Why is measuring advancing contact angle important?

Measuring advancing contact angle can provide valuable information about the interactions between a liquid and a solid surface. This information can be used to understand and control processes such as wetting, adhesion, and surface tension, which have applications in various industries, including materials science, pharmaceuticals, and coatings.

5. Are there any limitations to using advancing contact angle as a measurement?

Advancing contact angle measurements may not accurately represent the true wetting behavior of a liquid on a rough or heterogeneous surface. In addition, the use of advancing contact angle alone may not provide a complete understanding of the interactions between a liquid and a solid surface. Therefore, it is important to consider other techniques and factors in conjunction with advancing contact angle measurements.