Measuring coefficient of friction of very light item

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
pyroknife
Messages
611
Reaction score
4
I'm trying to measure the coefficient of friction between a wheel that weighs about 4 grams and a ping pong table. Are there accurate spring scales I can use to measure the force it takes to move the wheel?

I'm estimate the force required to move the wheel to be in the thousands POUNDS (.00xlb)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
its easy and you don't need a scale. all you need to do is tilt the table until the object starts slipping, then find the angle. With that information you can determine the friction coefficient.

And it doesn't matter how light the object is.
 
Yea, I do agree with Curl.. This is really easy...
 
Curl said:
its easy and you don't need a scale. all you need to do is tilt the table until the object starts slipping, then find the angle. With that information you can determine the friction coefficient.

That will measure the static coefficient of friction, but not the dynamic coefficient.

And in any case the "wheel" will probably roll down a sloping table instead of sliding.
 
If I tip the table the wheel will slide on its side not roll down which is what I need. I just want to know if there is a spring scale that can measure a force to like 5 decimal places for a lb.
 
if you want to measure dynamic coefficient its still easy, time how long it takes for the object to slide down some sloped plane.

and I don't know of any "spring scales" that are so precise.