Measuring relativistic energy

In summary, a calorimeter will only measure the kinetic energy of a particle, not the total energy. To measure the total energy, one can use a cyclotron.
bernhard.rothenstein
how do we measure the relativistic energy of a tardyon?

Physics news on Phys.org
The laboratory answer is via calorimeters,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimeter_(particle_physics )

Last edited by a moderator:
pervect said:
The laboratory answer is via calorimeters,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimeter_(particle_physics )
A calorimeter will only measure the kinetic energy of a particle, not the total energy.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
One can also determine rest energy via calorimetry if one looks at particle /antiparticle annhiliation.

This may not be the most precise way of determining rest energy, though.

Also, I took the question to be more in terms of measuring the energy of a single particle, i.e. the particle physics version of the calorimeter. The original principle was based on measuring the actual heat energy, but they have since then become more sophisticated and complicated. Some of the more sophisticated versions routinely take into account known rest masses, i.e. they identify that a muon was created, and add in the known energy to do that into the particle energy.

Besides the Wiki article,

http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/glossary.html

talks about this a little

Calorimeter
In particle physics, any device that can measure the energy deposited in it by particles (originally a device that measured heat energy deposited, thus a calorie-meter). More Information: Liquid Argon Calorimeter, How does a Calorimeter Work?, Warm Iron Calorimeter

going into a lot of the details (Visit the above links and click on the sub-links - also see electromagnetic vs hadronic calorimeters).

I hope that this was the answer that was being looked for - i.e. how do particle physicists actually measure the energy of particles.

bernhard.rothenstein said:
how do we measure the relativistic energy of a tardyon?
If the particle is charged then use a cyclotron. Assume B (strength of magnetic field) is a given. Measure r = radius of circle particle is moving in. Measure the speed the particle is moving at. Then use the cyclotron relation p = qBr derived here

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/sr/cyclotron.htm

to get m = p/v = relativistic mass. Multiply by c^2 to get E = total inertial energy.

Pete

pervect said:
I hope that this was the answer that was being looked for - i.e. how do particle physicists actually measure the energy of particles.
Actually that only tells you the kinetic energy, not the total energy. Are you saying that a calorimeter measures E, not K? In any case the rest energy is so small compared to the kinetic energy there is little difference between the two.

Pete

1. What is relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy is the energy of an object that is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which describes how energy and mass are related at high speeds.

2. How is relativistic energy calculated?

Relativistic energy is calculated using the formula E = mc2 / √(1 - v2/c2), where E is energy, m is mass, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between relativistic energy and classical energy?

The main difference is that classical energy only takes into account the kinetic energy of an object, while relativistic energy also includes the energy associated with the mass of the object. Relativistic energy becomes more significant at high speeds, while classical energy remains unchanged.

4. Why is it important to measure relativistic energy?

Measuring relativistic energy is important in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as those found in particle accelerators. It also helps in the development of advanced technologies, such as nuclear energy and space travel.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy has many practical applications, such as in nuclear power plants, where the conversion of mass into energy is used to generate electricity. It also plays a role in medical imaging, as well as in the development of particle accelerators for scientific research.