Mechanical Engineer with a decent pGRE

In summary, the person has a BS in Mechanical Engineering with a good GPA and 4 years of work experience. They plan to apply mostly to Materials Science and Engineering PhD programs and have strong recommendations. They also took the pGRE and scored an 850. However, some schools they are looking at only have research groups in Physics departments and no Materials Science program. They are wondering if it is realistic for them to apply to low- to mid-tier Physics programs, and if not having formal training in Quantum will make them a weaker candidate. They are also considering taking the math GRE. The conversation also mentions a friend who got a ~700 on the pGRE after months of studying and a suggestion to ask physics people for their opinions.
84Runner
Hi all, I've got a question about PhD programs:

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, good GPA, and have been working for 4 years since. I will have strong rec's and plan to mostly apply to Materials Science and Engineering PhD programs. I did take the pGRE this spring and scored an 850, mostly to "prove" my physics knowledge is somewhat adequate being that Imy BS is in Mech. Eng.

Looking at schools to apply to, a few have more research groups in Physics departments and/or no materials science program for me to apply to. Do you think it's realistic for me to apply to some low- to mid-tier Physics (Optics or Condensed Matter) programs in cases where Materials Science isn't an option? Will I be a weaker candidate without undergrad formal training in Quantum, etc? Just trying to get a feel for which programs will take me seriously.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
From my understanding, 850 is a pretty good score on the pGRE. Friend of mine with A's in all of his 400 level physics classes studied for months and got a ~700, and he wants to go to grad school later.

I think I could beat him if I put my mind to it, which may eventually happen. EE/math minor here. As long as you're not focusing the physic-only topics (e.g. quantum ) where a pure physics major as UG major would be an idea candidate, I'd imagine you have a good shot; All this stuff is related anyway. I'd see what physics people have to say though.

Another shot in the dark here, but is there a math GRE (not quantitative section on normal GRE, which is a joke)? doing well on that might also help you get in.

What schools are you thinking about?

Last edited:

What is a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE?

A mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE is a professional who has completed a degree in mechanical engineering and has also taken the Physics GRE (pGRE) exam. The pGRE is a standardized test that assesses a student's understanding and knowledge of physics, and is often required for admission to graduate programs in engineering.

What skills does a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE possess?

A mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE has a strong foundation in mechanical engineering principles and theories, as well as a solid understanding of physics. They also possess analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to design and create mechanical systems and devices.

What kind of job opportunities are available for a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE. They can work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy, as well as in research and development. They may also pursue further education and work in academia.

What are the benefits of hiring a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE?

Hiring a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE can bring many benefits to a company. They have a strong understanding of fundamental engineering principles, as well as the ability to think critically and solve complex problems. Their knowledge of physics also allows them to design and develop innovative solutions for various industries.

How can a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE stay current in their field?

To stay current in their field, a mechanical engineer with a decent pGRE can attend conferences and workshops, participate in professional development programs, and stay updated on industry trends and advancements. They can also pursue further education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, to deepen their knowledge and expertise in a specific area of mechanical engineering.