1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Engineer with a decent pGRE

Tags:
  1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    Hi all, I've got a question about PhD programs:

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering, good GPA, and have been working for 4 years since. I will have strong rec's and plan to mostly apply to Materials Science and Engineering PhD programs. I did take the pGRE this spring and scored an 850, mostly to "prove" my physics knowledge is somewhat adequate being that Imy BS is in Mech. Eng.

Looking at schools to apply to, a few have more research groups in Physics departments and/or no materials science program for me to apply to. Do you think it's realistic for me to apply to some low- to mid-tier Physics (Optics or Condensed Matter) programs in cases where Materials Science isn't an option? Will I be a weaker candidate without undergrad formal training in Quantum, etc? Just trying to get a feel for which programs will take me seriously.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2013 #2
    From my understanding, 850 is a pretty good score on the pGRE. Friend of mine with A's in all of his 400 level physics classes studied for months and got a ~700, and he wants to go to grad school later.

I think I could beat him if I put my mind to it, which may eventually happen. EE/math minor here. As long as you're not focusing the physic-only topics (e.g. quantum ) where a pure physics major as UG major would be an idea candidate, I'd imagine you have a good shot; All this stuff is related anyway. I'd see what physics people have to say though.

Another shot in the dark here, but is there a math GRE (not quantitative section on normal GRE, which is a joke)? doing well on that might also help you get in.

What schools are you thinking about?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook