Mechanical Engineering in different countries

In summary, mechanical engineering is a good profession in Hong Kong, with a lot of demand and no social status. However, as an ME you can be respected for your intelligence and level of education.
tony_engin
Hi all
I'm a mechanical engineering student in Hong Kong, a small city.
I would like to know how's mechanical engineering going on in different countries. How's the social status of mechanical engineers? How's mechanical engieering as an academic discipline in your country? Anyone want to share?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my area I think there is a bit of an 'out of the ordinary' thing going on. As MEs the perception around here is really no big deal. That is because here, everyone who is anyone calls themselves an engineer and get away with it. If everyone in my area were telling the truth, we'd have more engineers per capita than anywhere on the planet. So as far as a social status, there really isn't any status what so ever.

That being said, the market for ME's is one of the best in my opinion. There seems to never be a lack of people looking for MEs. I think it's a good, sturdy profession to be in.

Its a legal issue in my field (you need to be a licensed engineer to get a construction permit). Socially, well, if people care that much, you probably don't want to hang out with them, but ehh - my roomate is a paralegal and he tells girls he's a lawyer. Similarly, being an engineer implies intelligence and a certain level of income. I guess you could say that since people will lie about it, its a positive thing (socially and professionally) to be one.

Social status is mostly determined by your education level:

From High School to Bachelors to Masters to Doctorate.

Notice engineers, nurses, and some other professionals branched from Bachelors another subfield - professional licenses. Although you don't need a Bachelors degree in Nursing to get RN license, for engineer to get a PE you need a Bachelors at least as well as 4 years of guided working experience with a professional engineer, and passing the test obviously.

But as far as social status is concerned, the Doctors (MD, JD, PhD) are the highest ranked, in my book anyway. It takes years of eating Ramen Noodle soup with book crunching to earn the darn thing, and I admire any sucker who went down that road, no matter what the field is :smile:
(no honestly, I admire the PhDs :biggrin: )

Related to Mechanical Engineering in different countries

1. What are the top countries for studying mechanical engineering?

The top countries for studying mechanical engineering are the United States, Germany, Japan, China, and the United Kingdom. These countries have highly-ranked universities and research institutions that offer top-quality education and research opportunities in the field of mechanical engineering.

2. How do job opportunities for mechanical engineers differ in different countries?

Job opportunities for mechanical engineers vary depending on the country. Some countries have a high demand for mechanical engineers in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing, while others may have a lower demand. It is important to research the job market in a specific country before pursuing a career in mechanical engineering there.

3. What are the key differences in the curriculum for mechanical engineering in different countries?

The curriculum for mechanical engineering may differ slightly in different countries, but the core courses remain the same. Some countries may have a stronger emphasis on certain areas of mechanical engineering, such as robotics or materials science, while others may have a more traditional approach. It is important to research the specific curriculum of a program before applying.

4. Are there any cultural differences that may affect studying mechanical engineering in a foreign country?

Yes, there may be cultural differences that can affect studying mechanical engineering in a foreign country. These may include differences in teaching styles, communication norms, and work ethics. It is important to be aware of these cultural differences and adapt accordingly to have a successful academic experience.

5. Are there any language requirements for studying mechanical engineering in a foreign country?

Some countries may have a language requirement for studying mechanical engineering, while others may offer programs in English. It is important to research the language requirements of a specific country before applying. In some cases, universities may offer language courses for international students to help them meet the language requirements.