Exploring the Cam Mechanism: Questions & Answers

• Thread starter Tung Jian Seng
  • Start date
Tung Jian Seng
TL;DR Summary
I wanna know how to calculate to select the right motor for my cam mechanism
Hi guys, I'm a 2nd year mechanical engineering student here. I'm currently exploring the cam mechanism and I find it interesting. But when I see the videos, I have some questions that came up in my mind. Here is the illustration below..
1696861035359.png

This is a top view. In this case, the cam plate is mounted on a linear guide block, and the block is driven by the motor, when the motor rotates, the block will be moving forward and backward. So here are the questions below:

1. How should I know if my motor is suitable or not?
2. It would depend on the mass of the cam plate which is the load to the motor right?
3. Is it correct that when the motor is rotating, it actually doesn't have to withstand the load of the cam plate as it is already on a frictionless slider?
4. I think what matters to the motor is the inertia force caused by the mass of the cam plate and linear guide block, but how can I calculate it to select the right motor for my application?

I would really appreciate it if someone could help to clear my doubt
Thank you in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the usefulness of the mechanism if the only load on the motor is the sliding cam plate?
Normally, you need to alternately move something else, which is the main load.

The item labelled 'cam folower' could be a cam but how is it driven? Is there a bit off three dimensional sketching here. I agree, it looks more like a scotch yoke but put in the wrong place.

Has the OP seen actual images of working cam mechanisms? Google could be his / her friend here.

What is a cam mechanism?

A cam mechanism is a device used in mechanical systems to convert rotational motion into linear motion or to produce specific, repeatable motions. It consists of a cam—a rotating or sliding piece in a mechanical linkage—and a follower which tracks the cam's surface, translating the motion into a desired path.

How do cam mechanisms work?

Cam mechanisms work by having the cam push on a follower while it rotates. As the cam rotates, the profile of the cam dictates the movement of the follower. This movement can be linear or oscillatory depending on the shape of the cam and the type of follower used. The follower's motion is then often translated into other mechanical operations within a system.

What are the different types of cam mechanisms?

There are several types of cam mechanisms, including radial or disc cams, cylindrical or barrel cams, and conjugate cams. Radial cams are the most common, featuring a disc with a contoured edge that the follower traces. Cylindrical cams have a cylindrical shape with a helical contour, while conjugate cams involve two opposing cams to smooth out the motion of the follower.

What are common applications of cam mechanisms?

Cam mechanisms are widely used in various engineering fields. Common applications include valve actuation in internal combustion engines, automatic feeding devices in manufacturing machinery, textile machinery, and in animatronics for creating lifelike motions. They are also used in consumer products like cameras and printers to control precise movements.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using cam mechanisms?

The advantages of cam mechanisms include their ability to produce complex and precise motion profiles which can be customized to meet specific engineering needs. They are compact and can be integrated into various mechanical systems efficiently. However, disadvantages include the potential for wear and tear due to the physical contact between the cam and follower, and the need for precise manufacturing and assembly to ensure smooth operation.