Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, Mechanical Engineering is a great field to study if you want to work in a variety of industries, while Aerospace Engineering is a good choice if you want to work in the aerospace industry.
Goopy17
Hi,
I'm going to be a junior in High School next year and I am trying to decide what I want to be. I think i narrowed it down to Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering. What would be easier to find a job with? Are they both relatively easy, or hard? I heard that if you have a degree in Aerospace, you can work in mechanical and vice versa. What are the pros and cons of each?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical Engineering is the most general type of engineering, whereas aerospace is quite the opposite really, since it's quite limited to the aerospace industry. Mechanical engineering jobs could be anything from designing a kettle to a car, working in the nuclear industry or manufacturing... Having said that you're quite right that if you have a degree in one, in some cases you can get a job in the other field. However as far as I know there are more jobs out there for mechanical engineers. It does depend on how far you want to go with your degree as well. I mean if you want to continue to a PhD level and get into research or if you want to do a BSc or MSc. I hope that gives you a general idea. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks! Which one is more stable?

What do you mean by stable?
If you mean in terms of you being able to find jobs, it still depends on the economy at the time you graduate. For instance maybe in 10 years time the Oil industry( which is again another area mechanical engineers can work in) would not be doing so well and maybe the renewable energy industry will be more popular ...
It also depends on how specialized you want to become, etc.
Also make sure that you also enjoy the subject a little bit especially if you want to go as far as doing a PhD which will take years. you could always do a BSc in a field and then do you masters in a different (but similar) field, etc.

I have been reading about Mechanical Engineering and it interests me a lot. By stable I mean you have a job for a long time and you aren't only hired for a contract and then laid off. I want to be able to support a family.

Oh yeah, as far as I know most definitely you will most probably go into full time employment in any engineering field as oppose to contract jobs.

I think some universities give you an option to change from a mechanical to an aerospace engineering course (or vice versa) after the first year if that's what you are worried about. It's something worth checking out ..

Thanks! You've been a big help. I think I'm going to go into Mechanical

Mechanical engineering is a great field of study. I myself have a degree in ME, but I work in the aerospace field. A relative of mine works in the oil industry and he has a degree in mechanical as well. Old classmates of mine that graduated in ME currently work in more computer science-related fields (CAx tools). Having an ME degree tells employers that you are versatile.

Aeronautical engineers, from what I've been told, have a very similar course of study to mechanical engineers. The difference comes in the last few semesters of study, where they take more classes in aircraft structures, composites, aerodynamics, advanced thermodynamics and heat transfer, stress analysis, and advanced fluids. It's all basically classes that deal with phenomena specific to aircraft and there's enough classes that differ from the ME degree to warrant a different title. Aeronautical engineers usually work for aerospace companies, but it doesn't mean that they can't do other ME work. I would imagine that the AE degree gives you an advantage on your resume if you're applying for work an aerospace company, but it might not be that advantageous if you were applying, let's say, in the energy field.

About the stability of jobs, I agree with hoomanya. I know that during the "Great Recession" the aerospace industry tanked. However, from what I've been told, it's been a great industry to work in when the economy was booming. Like most jobs, it depends on the economy. However, I do believe that engineering professions in general are inherently more stable than most other kinds of jobs. About specialization, you might consider doing a degree in mechanical and then, if you find out what you want to specialize in, do a graduate degree in that field. You could do ME first, then get a masters in AE. You could even do a masters in a (mostly) unrelated field. I've seen MEs that graduated and really loved computer science, so they got a masters in CS. They took a couple years longer than other CS grad students because they lacked the undergrad basics, but it's not impossible. Some schools allow you to get two masters degrees simultaneously. An ME prof I know got two masters, one in EE and the other in ME (he works doing MEMS, so both have helped him). You've definitely got options, so don't be afraid to choose something.

1. What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering?

Mechanical Engineering is a broad field that deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems, such as engines, vehicles, and machines. Aerospace Engineering, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technology. While there is some overlap between the two fields, Aerospace Engineering is more specialized and typically requires additional knowledge of aerodynamics, propulsion, and materials specific to aerospace applications.

2. What kind of jobs can I get with a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

Both degrees prepare you for a wide range of careers in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and energy. Some common job titles for Mechanical Engineers include design engineer, project engineer, and manufacturing engineer, while Aerospace Engineers may work as flight test engineers, systems engineers, or research and development engineers.

3. Do I need to have strong math and physics skills to study Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

Yes, both fields require a strong foundation in math and physics. Mechanical Engineers use mathematical concepts to analyze and design mechanical systems, while Aerospace Engineers use physics principles to understand the behavior of aircraft and spacecraft. However, with dedication and hard work, these skills can be developed and improved upon throughout your studies.

4. What are some important skills for success in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

Some key skills for success in these fields include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Both Mechanical and Aerospace Engineers must also have strong communication and teamwork skills, as they often work in interdisciplinary teams to design and develop complex systems. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages is becoming increasingly important in these fields.

5. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?

While a bachelor's degree is typically sufficient for entry-level positions in these fields, a graduate degree can open up more advanced and specialized career opportunities. Many employers also prefer candidates with a graduate degree, and it may lead to higher salaries and quicker career advancement. However, whether or not to pursue a graduate degree ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.