Mechanical Waves & Wave Equation

In summary, To solve this problem, you need to show that the given wave function satisfies the wave equation by taking the second derivatives with respect to time and position. The resulting ratio of the derivatives will give the square of the speed of propagation in terms of the given quantities.
verd
Hi, I'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding exactly what to do to get to an answer in section a of this problem. It asks to show that the given function satisfies the wave equation... I have the wave equation. How do I go about 'showing' that it satisfies the wave equation?

Do I just differentiate it twice? ...If so, to which respect to I differentiate it to?

Here's the problem:

You want to measure the mass m of an object, but you don’t have a scale. You therefore decide to attach the object to a string of mass ms and length L, as in the figure, and to generate standing waves on the string (pay attention to the orientation of the axes on the figure!). The wave function that describes the standing wave is given by:
[tex]y(x,t)=\cos(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi)\cos(2\pi ft)[/tex]

where λ is the wavelength, f is the frequency, and φ is the phase.

a) Show that the wave function y(x,t) satisfies the
wave equation and from it derive and expression
for the speed of propagation of the wave in terms of
the given quantities.

Physics news on Phys.org
verd said:
Hi, I'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding exactly what to do to get to an answer in section a of this problem. It asks to show that the given function satisfies the wave equation... I have the wave equation. How do I go about 'showing' that it satisfies the wave equation?

Do I just differentiate it twice? ...If so, to which respect to I differentiate it to?

Here's the problem:

You want to measure the mass m of an object, but you don’t have a scale. You therefore decide to attach the object to a string of mass ms and length L, as in the figure, and to generate standing waves on the string (pay attention to the orientation of the axes on the figure!). The wave function that describes the standing wave is given by:
[tex]y(x,t)=\cos(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi)\cos(2\pi ft)[/tex]

where λ is the wavelength, f is the frequency, and φ is the phase.

a) Show that the wave function y(x,t) satisfies the
wave equation and from it derive and expression
for the speed of propagation of the wave in terms of
the given quantities.

calculate [itex] {\partial^2 y(x,t) \over \partial t^2} [/itex] and [itex] {\partial^2 y(x,t) \over \partial x^2} [/itex]. The ratio of the first over the second will give you the square of the speed (which will obviously be [itex] \lambda^2 f^2 [/itex]).

To show that the wave function y(x,t) satisfies the wave equation, we need to differentiate it twice with respect to both x and t. This will give us the second derivative of the function, which is necessary for the wave equation.

First, let's differentiate with respect to x:

\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (-\frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \sin(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi)\cos(2\pi ft)) = (-\frac{2\pi}{\lambda})^2 \cos(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi)\cos(2\pi ft)

Now, let's differentiate with respect to t:

\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} (-\frac{2\pi}{\lambda} \cos(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi)\sin(2\pi ft)) = (-2\pi f)^2 \cos(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi)\cos(2\pi ft)

We can see that both of these derivatives are equal to the original function y(x,t) multiplied by a constant. This is exactly what the wave equation states: the second derivative of the function with respect to both x and t is equal to the function multiplied by a constant (in this case, (-\frac{2\pi}{\lambda})^2 and (-2\pi f)^2).

To derive the expression for the speed of propagation, we can use the wave equation in its simplest form:

\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2} = \frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}

where v is the speed of propagation. We can rearrange this equation to solve for v:

v = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}} \frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial t^2}}

Substituting in the derivatives we found earlier, we get:

v = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(-\frac{2\pi}{\lambda})^2 \cos(\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}x+\phi

1. What is a mechanical wave?

A mechanical wave is a type of wave that transfers energy through a medium by causing the particles of the medium to vibrate. This type of wave requires a medium to travel through, such as air, water, or solid objects.

2. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of a wave in terms of its wavelength, frequency, and speed. It can be written as c = λf, where c is the speed of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

3. How do mechanical waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Mechanical waves also transfer energy through the medium by causing particles to vibrate, while electromagnetic waves transfer energy through oscillating electric and magnetic fields.

4. What are the types of mechanical waves?

The two main types of mechanical waves are transverse and longitudinal waves. Transverse waves cause particles in the medium to vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while longitudinal waves cause particles to vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave.

5. How do you calculate the velocity of a mechanical wave?

The velocity of a mechanical wave can be calculated by dividing the distance the wave travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. It can also be calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency. The unit for velocity is typically meters per second (m/s).