Mechanics, charge in vector potential

In summary, the conversation discusses classical particle motion in a vector potential and how it results in circular orbits with an angular frequency of qB/μc. The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations are used to derive the equations of motion, and it is shown that the equations can be decoupled to show harmonic motion in each dimension, resulting in circular motion.
WarnK

Homework Statement

A particle of charge q in a vector potential

[tex]\vec{A} = (B/2) (-y\vec{i} + x\vec{j} )[/tex]

show that a classical particle in this potential will move in circles at an angular frequency [tex]\omega_0 = qB/ \mu c[/tex], [tex]\mu[/tex] is the mass of the particle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I write a Hamiltionian as

[tex] H = \frac{1}{2\mu} \left( \vec{p} - \frac{q}{c} \vec{A} \right)^2 [/tex]

and then get

[tex] \mu \dot{x} = p_x + \frac{qB}{2c}y[/tex]
[tex] \mu \dot{y} = p_y - \frac{qB}{2c}x[/tex]

and then I'm lost. I'm not sure if this is right, and if it is: how do I see how this gives circular orbits and what the angular frequency is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the Lagrangian for the particle. What happens to [tex] \vec{A} \cdot \vec{r} [/tex]? So, what are the cyclic coordinates and what's conserved?

Once you figure out what the constants of motion are, you can solve the last two equations you wrote.

If you have to use the Hamiltonian formulation, don't forget the other set of equations
p'= -dH/dq.
The 4 1st order equations here correspond to the 2 2nd order equations of the Lagrangian formulation. Either way, they are coupled, and you can decouple them in a simple fashion. Circular motion corresponds to harmonic motion in each dimension, so if you can show the equations are of the form
x'' +w^2 x+constant=0
then that's it (cause you should know the solutions of such an equation already);
then you can pull off the angular frequency (speed) w. The constant appears from integration but you can verify yourself that it's zero.

1. What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause it. It explores how objects move and interact with each other under the influence of various forces.

2. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electricity an object possesses. It can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

3. What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical function used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field in terms of an electric current. It is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

4. How does charge interact with a vector potential?

Charge interacts with a vector potential through the Lorentz force law, which describes the force experienced by a charged particle moving in an electromagnetic field. The vector potential contributes to the magnetic part of this force.

5. What are the applications of mechanics and charge in vector potential?

Mechanics and charge in vector potential have many applications in various fields, including electronics, optics, and material science. They are used to understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and to develop technologies such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators.