1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics: Displacement Vector

1. May 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the vector r(t)= (1-t)i + (3+2t)j + (t-4)k which depends on scalar parameter t. For which t0 is the length of r(t0) minimal?

2. Relevant equations

Equations of motion

3. The attempt at a solution

So I approached this question by saying the length would be minimal when the magnitude is minimal ie. |r|=0.

|r|=√[(1-t)2+(3+2t)2+(t-4)2]

Simplified down I got 3t2+t+13=0

I tried using the quadratic formula to solve this then but couldn't as the value under the square root was negative.

Am I approaching this question wrong then? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you assume that the smallest value of |r| is zero? That would be the case only if the line passes through the origin. Draw a sketch of a similar situation in two dimensions, and look carefully at the picture.

4. May 18, 2014 #3
    So if t is the x-axis and r(t) the y-axis when t=0 r(t) is at a minimum?

5. May 18, 2014 #4
    Actually is it when the x-compenent is zero. So in this case 1-t=0 so t=1?

6. May 18, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##\vec{r}(t)## describes a curve in three dimensions, and ##t## is a parameter telling you where you are on that curve. To sketch the curve, you need to do so in three dimensions. Ray is suggesting you try a simpler example where the curve lies in two dimensions so you can get an idea of how to analyze the problem correctly. For instance, you could try a curve like ##\vec{r}(t) = (t-1)\hat{i} + (t+2)\hat{j}##.

Back to the original problem… You found the length ##\| \vec{r}(t) \| = \sqrt{2(3t^2+t+13)}## as a function of ##t##. You want to find where this function attains a minimum. How do you do that?

7. May 18, 2014 #6
    Differentiate and let it equal to zero. Then sub t values back into r(t)?

8. May 18, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Right. The problem is only asking for the value of ##t##, so you don't need to plug the value back into ##\vec{r}(t)##, though you might try it to see if the answer is reasonable.

9. May 18, 2014 #8
    Ok vela thanks for the help. I got t=1/3 in the end. There was chain rule involved in differentiating so it would take a while to type it out. Thanks for the help again.

10. May 18, 2014 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You're off by a factor of 2.

11. May 18, 2014 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even easier: ##|r|## is a minimum if and only if ##r^2## is a minimum (why?), so you might as well just minimize ##r^2 = (1-t)^2 + (3+2t)^2 + (t-4)^2 = 6 t^2 + 2t + 26.##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted