Mechanics: Displacement Vector

An "expert summarizer of content" would omit the discussion of alternative approaches, such as differentiating and using the chain rule, because they are not part of the problem statement, and only provide the final answer and explanation. In summary, to find the value of t for which the length of r(t) is minimal, we can minimize the squared length of r(t) by differentiating and setting it equal to zero. This yields t=1/3, and plugging this value back in shows that it is a minimum point.
teme92

Homework Statement

Consider the vector r(t)= (1-t)i + (3+2t)j + (t-4)k which depends on scalar parameter t. For which t0 is the length of r(t0) minimal?

Homework Equations

Equations of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

So I approached this question by saying the length would be minimal when the magnitude is minimal ie. |r|=0.

|r|=√[(1-t)2+(3+2t)2+(t-4)2]

Simplified down I got 3t2+t+13=0

I tried using the quadratic formula to solve this then but couldn't as the value under the square root was negative.

Am I approaching this question wrong then? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
teme92 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the vector r(t)= (1-t)i + (3+2t)j + (t-4)k which depends on scalar parameter t. For which t0 is the length of r(t0) minimal?

Homework Equations

Equations of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

So I approached this question by saying the length would be minimal when the magnitude is minimal ie. |r|=0.

|r|=√[(1-t)2+(3+2t)2+(t-4)2]

Simplified down I got 3t2+t+13=0

I tried using the quadratic formula to solve this then but couldn't as the value under the square root was negative.

Am I approaching this question wrong then? Any help would be much appreciated.

Why would you assume that the smallest value of |r| is zero? That would be the case only if the line passes through the origin. Draw a sketch of a similar situation in two dimensions, and look carefully at the picture.

So if t is the x-axis and r(t) the y-axis when t=0 r(t) is at a minimum?

Actually is it when the x-compenent is zero. So in this case 1-t=0 so t=1?

##\vec{r}(t)## describes a curve in three dimensions, and ##t## is a parameter telling you where you are on that curve. To sketch the curve, you need to do so in three dimensions. Ray is suggesting you try a simpler example where the curve lies in two dimensions so you can get an idea of how to analyze the problem correctly. For instance, you could try a curve like ##\vec{r}(t) = (t-1)\hat{i} + (t+2)\hat{j}##.

Back to the original problem… You found the length ##\| \vec{r}(t) \| = \sqrt{2(3t^2+t+13)}## as a function of ##t##. You want to find where this function attains a minimum. How do you do that?

Differentiate and let it equal to zero. Then sub t values back into r(t)?

Right. The problem is only asking for the value of ##t##, so you don't need to plug the value back into ##\vec{r}(t)##, though you might try it to see if the answer is reasonable.

Likes 1 person
Ok vela thanks for the help. I got t=1/3 in the end. There was chain rule involved in differentiating so it would take a while to type it out. Thanks for the help again.

You're off by a factor of 2.

teme92 said:
Differentiate and let it equal to zero. Then sub t values back into r(t)?

Even easier: ##|r|## is a minimum if and only if ##r^2## is a minimum (why?), so you might as well just minimize ##r^2 = (1-t)^2 + (3+2t)^2 + (t-4)^2 = 6 t^2 + 2t + 26.##

FAQ: Mechanics: Displacement Vector

1. What is displacement vector?

Displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the change in position or location of an object. It includes both the magnitude (distance) and direction of the change.

2. How is displacement vector different from distance?

Distance is a measurement of the total length traveled by an object, while displacement vector takes into account the starting and ending positions of the object and the direction in which it moved.

3. What is the difference between displacement vector and velocity?

Displacement vector is a measure of a change in position, while velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's position. Velocity includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's movement, while displacement vector only indicates the overall change in position.

4. How is displacement vector calculated?

Displacement vector is calculated by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector. This results in a vector that represents the change in position of an object.

5. How is displacement vector used in physics?

Displacement vector is an important concept in physics as it is used to calculate other important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. It also helps in understanding the motion of objects and their changes in position over time.

Back