1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics - Elastic springs and strings

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1
    A particle P of mass m is attached to one end of a light elastic string of natural length L whose other end is attached to a point A on a ceiling. When P hangs in equilibrium AP has length [itex]\frac{5l}{3}[/itex]. Show that if P is projected vertically downwards from A with speed [itex]\sqrt(\frac{3gl}{2})[/itex], P will come to instantaneous rest after moving a distance [itex]\frac{10l}{3}[/itex].

I thought about working all this out by finding the energies before and after the projection.

Before:-
    [itex]KE =\frac{3gl}{4}[/itex]
    [itex]GPE = 0[/itex]
    [itex]EPE = 0[/itex]

After:-
    [itex]KE = 0[/itex]
    [itex]GPE = -(y - 5/3L)g[/itex] where y is the full length of stretched string.
    [itex]EPE = \frac{gl(Y- 5/3L)^2}{2L(Y- 5/3L)}[/itex]

i cant seem to get the anwer using these, are they correct?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2006 #2
    This seems like more of a physics related question. I'm sure if you post it in the physics section someone would help you out a little faster. I haven't taken diffeq in awhile, but this seems like a pretty straightforward diffeq question. I could definitely be wrong though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?