Mechanics: Next Level After AP French

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the speaker is seeking the next level of mechanics after completing AP French. They have a decent background in math but are unsure if they should start with Goldstein or a book like Symon or Taylor. The suggestion is to start with Goldstein, which covers more topics and is more in-depth, but requires a strong background in math and independent learning.
WiFO215
I didn't want to steal the topic of the person below. I have completed using AP French and am looking for the next level of mechanics. I have a decent background of math (Calc. of Variations, ODEs (no PDEs), Fourier Series, Linear Algebra. Is the next step Goldstein/ L&L or should I go through something like Symon or Taylor first?

Physics news on Phys.org
anirudh215 said:
I didn't want to steal the topic of the person below. I have completed using AP French and am looking for the next level of mechanics. I have a decent background of math (Calc. of Variations, ODEs (no PDEs), Fourier Series, Linear Algebra. Is the next step Goldstein/ L&L or should I go through something like Symon or Taylor first?
I would suggest you read Goldstein.

Taylor (I don't know Symon) is a very good introductory book (he's very smooth on Lagrangian/Hamiltonian) but stays at the surface of the topics. He's comparable to Griffiths : he explains very well what he does, talk about concepts, but doesn't go too far. We used in the first year of University in physics.

On the other hands, Goldstein goes way further than Taylor, but still explains very well too. It has a lot more topics in it, but you need a good background in maths and to be independant (there's no answers in the back!). It was used in second year of University where I'm from. I think your level of maths is sufficient to read it.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Related to Mechanics: Next Level After AP French

1. What is "Mechanics: Next Level After AP French"?

"Mechanics: Next Level After AP French" is a course that builds upon the concepts learned in AP French by delving deeper into advanced grammatical structures, idiomatic expressions, and cultural nuances. It is designed for students who have a strong foundation in the French language and are looking to further improve their fluency and understanding.

2. Who is this course intended for?

This course is intended for students who have completed AP French or have a similar level of proficiency in the language. It is also suitable for anyone who is looking to challenge themselves and expand their knowledge of the French language and culture.

3. What topics are covered in this course?

This course covers a range of topics including advanced grammar, complex verb tenses, idiomatic expressions, and cultural topics such as literature, history, and current events. It also focuses on improving speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills through various activities and assignments.

4. How is this course different from AP French?

This course is designed to take students beyond the basic level of French proficiency that is expected in AP French. It challenges students to think critically and communicate more effectively in the language by exploring more complex structures and topics. Additionally, this course places a greater emphasis on cultural understanding and fluency.

5. What are the benefits of taking this course?

By taking this course, students can improve their overall proficiency in the French language and gain a deeper understanding of French culture. It can also prepare them for further studies in French, such as in college or for international careers. Additionally, it can enhance critical thinking skills and broaden perspectives on global issues through the study of French literature and current events.