Comparing Moment of Inertia of Wood and Iron Spheres

• Thread starter Amith2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the question is about the moment of inertia of two spherical balls, one made of wood and one made of iron with the same diameter. The formula for the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is given. The doubt is whether the iron ball, with a greater mass, will have a larger moment of inertia. It is explained that for a given radius, the moment of inertia of the iron ball will indeed be larger due to its greater mass. An example is given to illustrate this concept.
Amith2006
Sir,
1) Consider two spherical balls one made of wood and other made of iron having the same diametre. Which one has greater moment of inertia about their centre of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for any solid sphere is
[tex] I=\frac{2}{5}mr^2[/tex]

Sir,
My doubt is - For a given radius, the iron sphere having a greater mass should have larger moment of inertia, isn't it?Suppose mass of iron sphere is twice the mass of wooden sphere. In that case,
Moment of inertia of wooden ball = 2/5(MR^2)
Moment of inertia of iron ball = 2/5(2MR^2)
Here the symbol "^" represents power.

You got your answer...

What is a "Mechanics problem"?

A "Mechanics problem" is a type of physics problem that involves the application of Newton's laws of motion to solve for unknown quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force.

How do I approach solving a Mechanics problem?

The first step in solving a Mechanics problem is to identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles to set up and solve the problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Mechanics problems?

Common mistakes when solving Mechanics problems include forgetting to include all the forces acting on an object, using the wrong equation or principle, and not properly converting units.

What are some helpful tips for solving Mechanics problems?

Some helpful tips for solving Mechanics problems include drawing a free-body diagram, breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and checking for consistency with units and dimensions.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Mechanics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Mechanics, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and understanding the underlying principles and concepts. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also be beneficial.