What is the difference in solving a) and b)?

In summary, when the car is released from rest, it experiences an acceleration a = gsin(\alpha) along the surface of the hill.
atlantic
A car rolling down a hill with an inclination [tex]\alpha[/tex] with the horizon experiences an acceleration [tex]a = gsin(\alpha)[/tex] along the surface of the hill. Here [tex]g = 9.81 m/s^2[/tex]. The car is released from rest at the time t0 = 0s

a) Find the position s and the velocity v of the car along the hill after a time t.

b) We will now introduce a reference system S oriented with the x-axis in the horizontal direction and the y-axis in the vertical direction (the direction gravity isacting). The car starts in the position x = 0 m, y = h, where h is the height of the car, and the car moves in the positive x-direction.

Find the position [tex]\vec{r(t)}[/tex] and the velocity [tex]\vec{v(t)}[/tex] of the car along the hill after a time t

What is the difference in solving a) and b)? As the velocity and position in a) are scalars, but vectors in b)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi atlantic! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

On b, this is what I did:

Since a(t) = dv/dt = d2r / dt2, and a(t) is a constant I end up with:

#1 v(t) = a(t)(t-t0) + v(t0)

#2 r(t) = 0.5a(t-t0)2 + v(t0)(t-t0) + r(t0)

Since r(t0) = h , v(t0) = 0, a(t) = gsin(alpha)i and t0 = 0, the equations #1 and #2 become:

#1 v(t) = gsin(alpha)t i

#2 r(t) = 0.5gsin(alpha)t2 i + h j

But how to solve a)? I initially started solving a) the same way I solved b) but then r(t0) = 0. Confused about the scalar notation they're using i a)... Or is the aswer to a):

#1 v = gsin(alpha)t i

#2 s = 0.5gsin(alpha)t2 i

since the motion in a) does not depend vertical "motion" ?

What is mechanics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces.

What is rolling downhill?

Rolling downhill refers to the motion of an object that is moving in a downward direction due to the force of gravity.

What are the factors that affect the speed of an object rolling downhill?

The speed of an object rolling downhill is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of the slope, and the force of friction acting against it.

How does the shape of an object affect its rolling downhill?

The shape of an object can affect its rolling downhill by changing the distribution of its mass and altering its rotational motion, which can impact its speed and stability.

What are some real-life examples of rolling downhill?

Some examples of rolling downhill in real life include rolling a ball down a hill, a car rolling down a slope, and a person on a skateboard or bike going downhill.