1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics Vibrations

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A piston of mass 4.53(kg) is travelling in a tube with a velocity of 15.24(m/s). It engages a spring of stiffness 350 (N/cm) and a damper with a coefficient of 1.75 (N.s/cm)

What is the maximum displacement of the piston and how long does it take to reach this point?

2. Relevant equations
    F= -kx
    x is the displacement vector - the distance and direction in which the spring is deformed
    F is the resulting force vector - the magnitude and direction of the restoring force the spring exerts
    k is the spring constant or force constant of the spring.

Damping : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the solutions, Max. Displacement = 128.6(mm), Time Taken = 0.0157(s). I am stuggling to find a link between the known data and the displacement. Hope you can help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2
    Integrate the wikipedia equation with the conditions x(0)=0, v(0)=15.24 (cauchy problem); the system is underdamped, you will find a solution like exponential*sin, for the maximum displacement set the condition v(t)=0, i found it at t=0.01572s, if you want further help i can give you the analytic solution but i'm not good at Latex, it's more like a math exercise than a physic's one
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook