1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical physicist career advice

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    I am pursuing a career in Medical physics. I have heard that starting 2012, people who earn MS or Phd in medical physics are required to go through 2 year medical residency for board certification. I was wondering how much can we expect to get paid during medical residency? With masters degree in medical physics, is there any other job I could do while I am doing my medical residency? like junior physicist? or any other jobs?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's been the case for a while that in order to write your board exams you need 2 years of clinical experience. Starting next year, you will need to have come through a CAMPEP-accredited program (either graduate program OR a residency). In 2014, you will need both, I believe. In 2016, the Canadian College will require either.

Resident pay varies. For specific numbers you can get a student membership with the AAPM and look up their salary survey. On average, you're looking at something on par with a very good post-doc position. You shouldn't expect to have time for another job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook