Meet a Mentor: Russ_Watters

In summary: I'm finishing my basement. Started from bare concrete and with no experience in construction, it is just about finished and I'm happy with the result. Russ_Watters has finished his basement. Russ_Watters is happy with the result.
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with an Engineer: Russ Watters

russwatters-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, Russ is much more interesting than I am!

I love it, great initiative!

Evo said:

And then, like a typical mentor, you had to go and delete all the interesting parts! :frown:

BobG said:
And then, like a typical mentor, you had to go and delete all the interesting parts! :frown:

Yeah Evo, I really wanted to learn more about his time as a male "entertainer"! :D

One day, when I grow up and become a mentor, I want to be just like Russ!

Evo said:

Wow is an understatement.

It should be more like; WOW!

In my brief 5 years at PF, I don't think Russ and I have agreed on anything. Yet, we seem to have a lot in common.

We even have the same favorite thread!

Thanks guys - and Greg, you promised you wouldn't bring that up! Seriously though, I'm not shy about discussing myself, good things or bad, so if anyone has anything else they want to know, just ask. I use my real name partly because I don't care much for anonymity.

russ_watters said:
... if anyone has anything else they want to know, just ask...

Ok.

Why do we never seem to agree on anything?
[/QUOTE

Is it a Left vs Right Coast kind of thing?
[/QUOTE

I just finished skimming through our favorite thread, and don't remember seeing you yell at me. Is that your way of agreeing with someone?
[/QUOTE

What color socks are you wearing?

OmCheeto said:
I just finished skimming through our favorite thread, and don't remember seeing you yell at me. Is that your way of agreeing with someone?

Om-g:rofl:

That's a great idea!

Monique said:
I love it, great initiative!

How about retired staff? I want to see your interview with them as well:)

This is a great feature, perhaps unique to this site. Russ_Watters is indeed interesting, and makes well-formulated comments, imo. It's evident that he is an above average thinker who is not averse to doing the research necessary to back up his posted opinions on various topics.

I'm a relatively inexperienced newcomer to discussion forum websites. My general opinion of Physics Forums is that it's the best I've experienced so far. Wish I had more time to devote to reading more of the posts here.

I'm eagerly anticipating future Meet a Mentor Q&As.

russ_watters said:
Thanks guys - and Greg, you promised you wouldn't bring that up! Seriously though, I'm not shy about discussing myself, good things or bad, so if anyone has anything else they want to know, just ask. I use my real name partly because I don't care much for anonymity.
I'm curious about your current project(s), and also what are some of the things that you feel you have an unsatisfactory understanding of, and are important enough to you that they regularly (re)occur in your thoughts and musings. Also, do you have any hobbies outside of science that you regularly and passionately pursue?

These questions will be repeated to other Mentors who are featured in this thread (as I find the time to pose them).

Lisa! said:
How about retired staff? I want to see your interview with them as well:)

After the current staff is done we may go to retired mentors, SAs and HHs.

nanosiborg said:
These questions will be repeated to other Mentors who are featured in this thread (as I find the time to pose them).

Some will be repeated a few times, some will be tailored.

OmCheeto said:
Ok.

Why do we never seem to agree on anything?

Is it a Left vs Right Coast kind of thing?

We clearly have different politics, but I don't know that geography has anything to do with it. People's brains just work differently.

What gets noticed here though is that differences get magnified by the nature of a discussion forum: people more often say when they disagree than when they agree because there really isn't anything to discuss when you agree.

Jimmy Snyder said:
What color socks are you wearing?
Its the weekend, so I'm wearing white athletic socks.

nanosiborg said:
I'm curious about your current project(s)...
Not sure what the scope of that question is, but...

-This has been a dreary winter so except for a single good Jupiter photo, not much going on on the astrophotography front right now.

-I'm finishing my basement. Started from bare concrete and with no experience in construction, it is just about finished and I'm happy with the result.

-Professionally, I'm doing a lot with energy conservation incentives. Over the past two years, I've gotten about $1.5 million for a major pharma company and the program reboots in a couple of months, so I have a big push of applications coming. Basically, I prove the energy savings of the projects to the utility/state. And because few people ever seem to try to revisit energy conservation projects to see if they are saving money, since I'm looking I also find ones that are under-performing and try to fix them. For some of the projects, I do the actual design, so then I'm on the hook if they under-perform! (which for me, they generally don't! :wink: )
...and also what are some of the things that you feel you have an unsatisfactory understanding of, and are important enough to you that they regularly (re)occur in your thoughts and musings.
I didn't join PF to teach, I joined to learn. I am fascinated with all things science and there are a lot of areas I'm weak in. I'm particularly fascinated with Relativity and I do a lot of lurking in that forum. And all things space related as well.

Professionally, it is said that my field is not very deep, but it is very wide. So most of what I have to learn there isn't difficult, it is just a matter of gaining experience.
Also, do you have any hobbies outside of science that you regularly and passionately pursue?
Well, finishing the basement and other general home improvement is my biggest time consumer. I'm also an avid golfer and skiier, but don't do as much of the skiing lately as I'd like.

And I'm a big movie fan. With Netflix, its easy to pick up a classic every couple of weeks, but I'm really partial to modern movies. Though I keep watching them, it is a rare old movie that impresses me. Most are over-acted and the stories are weak. Plus, computer animation, when not overdone, has made anything and everything possible in a movie and it looks real.

russ_watters said:
What gets noticed here though is that differences get magnified by the nature of a discussion forum: people more often say when they disagree than when they agree because there really isn't anything to discuss when you agree.

That's very wise :approve:.

russ_watters said:
Not sure what the scope of that question is, but...
Up to you. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

russ_watters said:
-This has been a dreary winter so except for a single good Jupiter photo, not much going on on the astrophotography front right now.

-I'm finishing my basement. Started from bare concrete and with no experience in construction, it is just about finished and I'm happy with the result.

-Professionally, I'm doing a lot with energy conservation incentives. Over the past two years, I've gotten about $1.5 million for a major pharma company and the program reboots in a couple of months, so I have a big push of applications coming. Basically, I prove the energy savings of the projects to the utility/state. And because few people ever seem to try to revisit energy conservation projects to see if they are saving money, since I'm looking I also find ones that are under-performing and try to fix them. For some of the projects, I do the actual design, so then I'm on the hook if they under-perform! (which for me, they generally don't! :wink: )

I didn't join PF to teach, I joined to learn. I am fascinated with all things science and there are a lot of areas I'm weak in. I'm particularly fascinated with Relativity and I do a lot of lurking in that forum. And all things space related as well.

Professionally, it is said that my field is not very deep, but it is very wide. So most of what I have to learn there isn't difficult, it is just a matter of gaining experience.

Well, finishing the basement and other general home improvement is my biggest time consumer. I'm also an avid golfer and skiier, but don't do as much of the skiing lately as I'd like.

And I'm a big movie fan. With Netflix, its easy to pick up a classic every couple of weeks, but I'm really partial to modern movies. Though I keep watching them, it is a rare old movie that impresses me. Most are over-acted and the stories are weak. Plus, computer animation, when not overdone, has made anything and everything possible in a movie and it looks real.
Enjoyed learning more about you. Especially like your statement about joining PF to learn. I think that people with a desire to continue learning turn out to be the best teachers. I share your fascination with Relativity, and also enjoy watching a good movie, and planning and making improvements in and around the house when time permits.
Thanks again and best wishes.

russ_watters said:

lisab said:
That's very wise :approve:.
Ditto

1. Who is Russ_Watters?

Russ_Watters is a mentor on the platform "Meet a Mentor", where professionals from various fields offer their expertise and guidance to aspiring individuals.

2. What is Russ_Watters' area of expertise?

Russ_Watters is an aerospace engineer with over 20 years of experience in the field. He specializes in space systems and propulsion systems design and analysis.

3. How can I schedule a meeting with Russ_Watters?

You can schedule a meeting with Russ_Watters by sending him a message through the "Meet a Mentor" platform. He will then coordinate with you to find a suitable time for the meeting.

4. What can I expect to gain from meeting with Russ_Watters?

By meeting with Russ_Watters, you can expect to gain valuable insights and advice on the field of aerospace engineering, as well as guidance on career development and professional networking.

5. Is there a fee for meeting with Russ_Watters?

No, there is no fee for meeting with Russ_Watters. He offers his services as a mentor on a voluntary basis and is happy to share his knowledge and expertise with others.