Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meissner Effect- magnetic focusing

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    Could superconductors be used to focus a magnetic field? For instance, lets say we have a superconducting cylinder and we place a wire coil in one end. If we put current through the wire, could it be used as a more effective Gauss gun than the same coil without the superconducting cylinder?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you can (and people do) use superconductors as "flux focusers", although that term usually refers to a thin superconducting film, not a cylinder.

However, I don't think the design you are proposing would be very efficient; AFAK Gauss guns are usually designed to us a ROW of electromagnets that gradually accelerate the slug; I can't see how a flux focuser would help.

4. Dec 2, 2008 #3
    It would be a hollow cylinder. My idea was to use cylinder to extend the coil's magnetic field over a large distance in one direction. That way you wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of switching the coils on and off at the right times.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?