Mercury: expansion with temperature

In summary, The conversation is about a person using a calculator to determine the amount of Mercury needed to expand by 50 Litres under a specific temperature. However, the person is getting incorrect results because they are entering the wrong volumetric expansion coefficient. The correct coefficient is provided and it is determined that at 66 degrees Celsius, the expansion will be about 60 extra litres.
matthewgill
I have found this fantastic calculator:

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phptherma...pansion_equation_volumetric_volume_change.php

I need to use it to work out how much Mercury I need to expand it by 50 Litres under temperature.

First things first though, i’m getting completely improbable answers out of the calculator because i am entering the wrong 'volumetric expansion coefficent (b)'.

here is what i am entering:

volumetric expansion coefficent (b): .00182
initial volume (Vinitial): 500 Litres
final temperature (Tfinal):67 decC
initial temperature (Tinitial):1 degC

And my results:

500 Litres ---> expands to ---> 560.06 Litres

Is this correct? I was expecting a greater expansion.

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
That exapansion coefficent is about 2/1000 or 1/500
So about 1l/deg C, and 66degC gives you about 60 extra litres litres

I would like to clarify that the calculator you have found is a helpful tool for calculating thermal expansion, but it is important to use accurate and precise values for the input variables in order to get accurate results. The volumetric expansion coefficient (b) for mercury is not a constant value and can vary based on the temperature range in which it is being measured. Additionally, the calculator you are using may have a default value for b that is not accurate for mercury at the temperatures you have entered. I suggest using a more reliable source for the volumetric expansion coefficient of mercury at the specific temperature range you are working with, such as a scientific journal or a reputable online database. This will ensure that your results are more accurate and reliable.

What is "Mercury: expansion with temperature"?

"Mercury: expansion with temperature" refers to the phenomenon where the volume of mercury increases as its temperature increases. This is due to the expansion of the mercury atoms as they gain thermal energy.

Why does mercury expand with temperature?

This is due to the kinetic energy of the mercury atoms increasing as the temperature rises, causing them to move and vibrate more, therefore taking up more space and expanding the volume of the substance.

What is the relationship between temperature and the expansion of mercury?

The expansion of mercury is directly proportional to the increase in temperature. This means that as the temperature rises, the expansion of mercury increases as well.

How is the expansion of mercury used in thermometers?

Mercury is often used in thermometers because of its high coefficient of expansion. This means that even small changes in temperature can be accurately measured by the expansion of the mercury column in the thermometer.

What happens to the expansion of mercury at extremely high temperatures?

At extremely high temperatures, the expansion of mercury can become significant and can potentially cause damage to containers or instruments holding the mercury. This is why it is important to use materials that can withstand high temperatures when working with mercury at elevated temperatures.