What is the mean molecular speed of Mercury Vapor at room temperature?

• Thread starter Buzzworks
  • Start date
I have few questions regarding mercury vapor, except those related to health hazards.

What is the mean molecular speed of mercury vapor at room temperature and speed of sound in a pure mercury vapor also at room temperature?

Also, for the same density of air at seal level, can mercury vapor attain significantly closer to ideal gas conditions? I initially googled this up and found no answers. I am a mfg engineer and I had no idea how to calculate it so I'll just ask here so hope to get help.

Pardon me if I made this thread in the wrong sub forum as these questions can also be answered in chemistry-related topics, but I saw 'molecules', particles, etc under these subforum and maybe answer my questions better. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Nevermind my question. Since I'm doing an experiment with heavy gases, after more research, found a much safer alternative than mercury - sulfur hexaflouride "Goa'uld gas". It also seems far easier to introduce a pure form of the gas into sealed chambers than mercury vapor.

Also found out the speed of sound in sulfur hexaflouride is 120 m/s. So I think I got all the information I need for now, thanks and hope this helps others too!