Witness the Transit of Mercury: Nov 11, 2019

In summary, Mercury was not visible from Australia on November 11, 2019. However, it was visible from the east coast of the United States.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
not visible from Australia :frown: :frown:

Crossing my fingers for nice weather.

Likes davenn
davenn said:
not visible from Australia

Neither was the last one.
Or the one before that for 90% of the country (however, was visible from the east coast).

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!

Likes davenn
It’s supposed to be partly cloudy here tomorrow morning. I’ll get out my binoculars and tripod, set up a “projector” like I did for the transit of Venus several years ago, and keep my fingers crossed.

I hope Mercury’s disk is big enough to show up clearly with these crude optics. Venus was rather fuzzy.

Likes OmCheeto
jtbell said:
It’s supposed to be partly cloudy here tomorrow morning. I’ll get out my binoculars and tripod, set up a “projector” like I did for the transit of Venus several years ago, and keep my fingers crossed.

I hope Mercury’s disk is big enough to show up clearly with these crude optics. Venus was rather fuzzy.
Guessing our definitions of "fuzzy" are a bit different.

transit2.jpg

After scratching my head, as to how you turned a pair of binoculars into some kind of theatrical device, I picked up my own, and realized that I had not a clue how binoculars worked.

Story, of my life.

Likes sophiecentaur and davenn
No joy. :H

Too many trees on the east side of my house, so I drove over to the college. Then the sun was high enough in the sky that I couldn’t get enough distance between the top of the tripod and the ground. The image was too small and too fuzzy to resolve Mercury’s disk.

The Venus transit was in late afternoon, the sun was lower in the sky, and I could get more distance to the screen.

Maybe I’ll still be around for the next transit in what, 2049 (when I’ll be 95)? :wideeyed:

Likes sophiecentaur
jtbell said:

Wait until night time, it may be less cloudy.

Cheers

• Haha
Likes davenn
I gave it my best effort.
Clouds, wind, and trees did their best to discourage me, but I persevered, and may or may not have captured evidence of the transit.

2019.11.11.0930.AM.PST.PDX.MERCURY.TRANSIT.png

hmmm...

When will be the next time we have a Venus and Mercury transit?

OmCheeto said:
When will be the next time we have a Venus and Mercury transit?

In about the year 70,000.

• Wow
Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
If that accurately reflects the angular sizes of Mercury and Venus during their transits, it's no wonder I wasn't able to see anything yesterday!

Likes sophiecentaur
jtbell said:
If that accurately reflects the angular sizes of Mercury and Venus during their transits, it's no wonder I wasn't able to see anything yesterday!
Makes me wonder how they did this 390 years ago, given that we've all this fancy stuff sitting around. I really enjoyed reading your June 5, 2012 post. This morning I've spent 4 hours researching all the players around the "transit fever" era.

As far as I can tell, they all used camera obscuras.

2019.11.12.transit.fever.era.png

Numbers in the middle of the matrix are everyones ≈ages
Green background indicates who witnessed the event.​

It's interesting that the only name I would have recognized 3 days ago, would have been Huygens.

Shout out to young Horrocks, whose name made it into Newton's Principia.
Newton was minus 4 years old in 1639.

Readings I found entertaining:

Nature​
The Historic Society of Lancashire & Cheshire​

Likes sophiecentaur, Andy Resnick and jtbell
Something that may not have occurred to people as they watched the phenomenon is that the surface of Mercury that you are seeing is at about -180°C, compared with nearly 5600°C for the Sun, in the background. That's a pretty effective sunshade.

OmCheeto said:
Shout out to young Horrocks, whose name made it into Newton's Principia.
Newton was minus 4 years old in 1639.
Just checked a semi-searchable English translation of the Principia.
Newton mentioned him twice!

Page 446: Our countryman, Horrox, was the first who advanced the theory of the moon's moving in an ellipsis about the Earth placed in its lower focus.​
Page 524: Lastly, from hence it is that the planets appear so small in the disk of the sun, being lessened by the dilated light. For to Hevelius, Galletius, and Dr. Halley, Mercury did not seem to exceed 12" or 15"; and Venus appeared to Mr. Crabtrie only 1' 3"; to Horrox but 1' 12"; though by the mensurations of Hevelius and Hugenius without the sun's disk, it ought to have been seen at least 1' 24".​

ps. Anyone know who the heck Galletius is/was?
pps. And don't even get me started on "Dr. Halley", as there's a bit in the Principia about a 575 year period comet, with all manner of births and deaths associated with it.
ppps. I may have embellished.

1. What is the transit of Mercury?

The transit of Mercury is a rare astronomical event where the planet Mercury passes directly between the Earth and the Sun, appearing as a small dark dot moving across the face of the Sun.

2. When will the transit of Mercury occur?

The transit of Mercury will occur on November 11, 2019. It will begin at approximately 7:35 am EST and end at 1:04 pm EST.

3. How often does the transit of Mercury happen?

The transit of Mercury happens approximately 13 times every century. The last transit occurred in 2016 and the next one will occur in 2032.

4. Is it safe to look at the transit of Mercury?

No, it is not safe to look directly at the transit of Mercury without proper eye protection. The intense light from the Sun can cause permanent damage to your eyes. It is important to use special solar filters or watch the event through a telescope with a solar filter.

5. What can we learn from the transit of Mercury?

The transit of Mercury allows scientists to study the planet's atmosphere and make measurements of its size, temperature, and composition. It also helps in refining our understanding of the solar system and the movements of the planets.