How Does a Man's Movement Affect the Angular Speed of a Merry-Go-Round?

In summary: So, the angular velocity of the wheel will increase as the moment of inertia decreases. In summary, a man standing at a distance of 1.4 m from the axis of rotation on a merry-go-round with a rate of 0.12 rev/s has an angular speed of 0.12 rad/s. When the man walks to a point 0 m from the center, the moment of inertia changes and by the principle of conservation of angular momentum, the angular velocity will increase. The change in kinetic energy due to this movement can be calculated using the formula 1/2mv^2, where v is the linear velocity determined using v=rw. The man can be considered a particle in this scenario.
DLH112

Homework Statement

A merry-go-round rotates at the rate of
0.12 rev/s with an 86 kg man standing at
a point 1.4 m from the axis of rotation.
What is the new angular speed when the
man walks to a point 0 m from the center?
Consider the merry-go-round is a solid 45 kg
cylinder of radius of 1.4 m.
Answer in units of rad/s

theres a follow up question:
What is the change in kinetic energy due to
this movement?
Answer in units of J

but don't really worry about that right now.

Homework Equations

v = rw ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it just me being dumb or is there a lot of excess information/ kind of a trick question? The angular speed of the merry go round would still be 0.12 rev/sec (need to convert to rad). just the linear velocity changes with the radius... I think? maybe some of that other information has to do with the change in energy question?

I just thought about the follow up question for a minute, maybe I know more than I think, but I'm not confident/have been getting these wrong.
>would you use V= rw to get the linear velocity and then plug that into 1/2mv^2 , and when the radius is 0 the energy goes to 0 since v=rw?

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum is conserved.

As the man walks to the centre the total moment of inertia about the centre is changing. Hence, by the principle of conservation of angular momentum, the angular velocity will also change.

so if L= Iw and I = 1/2 MR^2
then you get L = (0.5) (131) (1.4) (0.7539822).
but wouldn't w need to go to infinite if R is 0?

Note that the system consists of the merry-g-round wheel TOGETHER with the man!

Hence altough the moment of inertia of the wheel remains the same value , yet the moment of inertia of the man is changing.

Now I am at a loss what to do!

Because if the man were to be considered as a particle (!) his new moment of inertia about the centre of the wheel would be 0. But can one consider the man as a particle?

grzz said:
Note that the system consists of the merry-g-round wheel TOGETHER with the man! Hence altough the moment of inertia of the wheel remains the same value , yet the moment of inertia of the man is changing.

Because if the man were to be considered as a particle (!) his new moment of inertia about the centre of the wheel would be 0.
The total angular momentum is the sum of the angular momentum of the wheel and the man. If the man walks to the center of the wheel and can be considered a particle (or a point mass), then all of the angular momentum is in the wheel. The total angular momentum continues to remain constant.

Last edited:

Related to How Does a Man's Movement Affect the Angular Speed of a Merry-Go-Round?

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as rotational speed, is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis. It is measured in radians per second or revolutions per minute.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed refers to the speed of rotation, while linear speed refers to the speed at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in rotational units, while linear speed is measured in distance units per time.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of a merry-go-round?

The angular speed of a merry-go-round is affected by its radius, the force applied to it, and the mass of the riders. The shorter the radius, the faster the angular speed. A greater force and a smaller mass will also result in a higher angular speed.

4. How is angular speed related to centripetal force?

Angular speed is directly related to centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. As angular speed increases, the centripetal force must also increase to maintain the circular motion.

5. Can angular speed be changed?

Yes, angular speed can be changed by altering the radius, force, or mass of the merry-go-round. It can also be changed by applying a torque, which is a rotational force, to the object.