Mesh analysis, 2 meshes 1 known current source

In summary, applying KVL to mesh 1 with given values results in i1 = 1.56 A, which is also the result obtained from node analysis. The book may have a mistake, as it gives the answer as 1.71 A.
mishima

Homework Statement

Find i1 in the following figure, given: Vs=10V, I=1A, R1=5, R2=2, R3=4

prob.jpg

Homework Equations

KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying KVL to mesh 1:
Vs-i1R1-(i1-i2)R3=0
and i2=I=1A
So,
i1=(Vs+i2R3)/(R1+R3)=(10+1*4)/(5+4)=14/9=1.56 A

But book gives answer as 1.71 A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I also get the same answer when doing node analysis. I think this is just a book error, not in the errata.

mishima said:
I also get the same answer when doing node analysis. I think this is just a book error, not in the errata.

Looks like a book error; I agree with your result.

1. What is mesh analysis in circuit analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to calculate the voltage and current values in a circuit by creating loops or meshes and applying Kirchhoff's voltage law to each loop. It is based on the principle that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero.

2. How many meshes are required for mesh analysis?

At least two meshes are required for mesh analysis to be applicable. This is because the analysis involves creating equations for each mesh, and with only one mesh, there would be only one equation, making it solvable.

3. What is the known current source in mesh analysis?

The known current source in mesh analysis is an independent current source that is given in the circuit diagram. It is used as a known value to help solve for the unknown currents in each mesh.

4. Can mesh analysis be applied to circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, mesh analysis can be applied to circuits with dependent sources. However, the dependent sources must be converted to their equivalent independent sources before the analysis can be performed.

5. What is the advantage of using mesh analysis over other methods of circuit analysis?

One of the main advantages of mesh analysis is that it is systematic and can be used to analyze complex circuits with multiple loops. It also provides a more organized approach to solving for the unknown values in a circuit compared to other methods like nodal analysis.