Meson Compostions: Difference Between π0 and η

In summary, the π0 has a - sign because it is composed of states with different isospin properties, while the η meson has a + sign because it is composed of states with the same isospin property. The signs are determined by the flavor symmetric model, which is an approximate symmetry for the down and up quarks.
Shen712
The composition of the π0 is (uu_bar - dd_bar/√2; while the composition of the η meson is (uu_bar + dd_bar)/√2. Why is there a - sign in π0 while is there a + sign in η? How are the signs determined?
By the way, can I type Latex symbols on this site? I tried to type the anti up quark by typing \overline{u}, but it did not show what I wanted. How should I type it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shen712 said:
By the way, can I type Latex symbols on this site? I tried to type the anti up quark by typing \overline{u}, but it did not show what I wanted. How should I type it?
Yes, LaTeX is supported here. See our tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/.

Because ##\pi## and ##\eta## are different linear combinations of states in flavour space.

Orodruin said:
Because ##\pi## and ##\eta## are different linear combinations of states in flavour space.
Can you explain more clearly? How are the linear compositions different? And how does one lead to a - sign while the other lead to a + sign?

They are in different flavour states. It is that simple. If you have two vectors x and y, x+y is a different linear combination than x-y. In this case, one (##\pi_0##) is part of an isospin triplet and the other (##\eta##) is an isospin singlet.

In the flavor symmetric model, aka the down and up quarks are in an SU(2) doublet (aka 2-dimensional representation), which is a good approximate symmetry as long as the quarks are massless [itex]m_u , m_d \approx 0[/itex], when you go to build mesons by combining the doublet with the anti-doublet you have:
[itex] \textbf{2} \otimes \bar{\textbf{2}} = \textbf{3} \oplus \textbf{1}[/itex]
The (iso)triplet you get contains the pions (well with some combinations for the charged pions*): [itex]\pi^{\pm} , \pi^0[/itex] since it's built from the combination : [itex]\bar{q} \sigma^i q[/itex] with sigma the pauli matrices, while the (iso)singlet is the [itex]\eta[/itex] meson and it's constructed from the identity matrix (not pauli-matrices): [itex]\bar{q} \textbf{1} q[/itex]. The isotriplet is symmetric under the exchange [itex]u\leftrightarrow d[/itex] while the isosinglet is antisymmetric (similar to spin-1/2 from quantum mechanincs).
This is a simplified explanation (yet it works for your case). The actual (physical) [itex]\eta[/itex] states are produced as a mixture of states. These states are predicted by flavor SU(3) symmetry (adding strange quarks in, since they are also quite light), they are in an iso-octet and iso-singlet: [itex]\textbf{3} \otimes \bar{\textbf{3}} = \textbf{8} \oplus \textbf{1}[/itex]. Because the u,d,s quarks are not exactly massless, the SU(3) symmetry is not exact and mixings happen.

*In fact I wrote the charged pions immediately, but the quark composition you get out of this procedure is for [itex]\textbf{3}[/itex]:
[itex] \phi^1 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (u\bar{d} + \bar{u} d) ,~~\phi^2= \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}} (u\bar{d} - \bar{u}d) ,~~\phi^3= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (u\bar{u} - d \bar{d} )[/itex]
The charged pions come from combining [itex]\phi^{1,2}[/itex] ... in a similar manner as you built the ladder operators in spin-1/2 case... [itex]\pi^\pm = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ( \phi^1 \mp i \phi^2) [/itex]

Last edited:
Shen712 said:
The composition of the π0 is (uu_bar - dd_bar/√2; while the composition of the η meson is (uu_bar + dd_bar)/√2. Why is there a - sign in π0 while is there a + sign in η? How are the signs determined?
Where is the [itex]s \bar{s}[/itex] component of your [itex]\eta[/itex]? Scalar mesons (i.e., the [itex]J^{P} = 0^{-}[/itex] representation of the Lorentz group) contain 2 [itex]\eta[/itex]-particles: the [itex]T = S = 0[/itex] member of the [itex]SU(3)[/itex] octet, usually denoted by [itex]\eta_{8}[/itex] and having the quarks content [tex]\eta_{8} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} (u \bar{u} + d \bar{d} - 2 s \bar{s}) ,[/tex] and there is the [itex]SU(3)[/itex] singlet (invariant) state [tex]\eta_{1} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \sum_{i = u,d,s} q^{i} \ \bar{q}_{i} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} (u \bar{u} + d \bar{d} + s \bar{s}) \ .[/tex] The exact quark content follows from the [itex]SU(3)[/itex] decomposition [itex]3 \otimes \bar{3} = 8 \oplus 1[/itex], which you can represent as follow [tex]q^{i} \bar{q}_{j} = \left( q^{i} \bar{q}_{j} - \frac{1}{3} \delta^{i}_{j} \sum_{k = u,d,s} q^{k} \bar{q}_{k}\right) + \frac{1}{3} \delta^{i}_{j} \sum_{k} q^{k}\bar{q}_{k} \ .[/tex] The first term on the right hand side is the [itex]3 \times 3[/itex] traceless hermitian mesons matrix [tex]\{8\}^{i}_{j} = q^{i} \bar{q}_{j} - \frac{1}{3} \delta^{i}_{j} \sum_{k = u,d,s} q^{k} \bar{q}_{k} \ .[/tex] For the [itex]0^{-}[/itex] (i.e., scalar) mesons, the off-diagonal matrix elements are easily recognised, for example [itex]\{8\}^{2}_{3} = d \bar{s} = K^{0} \ , \{8\}^{3}_{1} = s \bar{u} = K^{-}[/itex] and the two charged pions [itex]\{8\}^{1}_{2} = u \bar{d} = \pi^{+} \ , \{8\}^{2}_{1} = d \bar{u} = \pi^{-}[/itex]. Now, before considering the diagonal elements of the [itex]SU(3)[/itex] meson matrix [itex]\{8\}^{i}_{j}[/itex], and in order to settle the sign issue for [itex]\pi^{0}[/itex], let us repeat the same thing for the iso-spin group [itex]SU(2)[/itex]. That is decomposing the tensor product [itex]2 \otimes 2 = 3 \oplus 1[/itex] by subtracting the [itex]SU(2)[/itex]-invariant trace. So, in terms of quarks [tex]q^{m} \bar{q}_{n} = \left( q^{m} \bar{q}_{n} - \frac{1}{2} \delta^{m}_{n} \sum_{l = u,d} q^{l}\bar{q}_{l} \right) + \frac{1}{2} \delta^{m}_{n} \sum_{l = u,d} q^{l} \bar{q}_{l} \ .[/tex] From this we identify the triplet (i.e., iso-spin one) pion states which are contained in the matrix [itex]\{3\}^{m}_{n}[/itex]:[tex]\pi^{+} = |1 , +1\rangle = \{3\}^{1}_{2} = u \bar{d} \ ,[/tex][tex]\pi^{0} = |1 , 0 \rangle = \sqrt{2} \{3\}^{1}_{1} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (u \bar{u} - d \bar{d}) \ ,[/tex][tex]\pi^{-} = |1 , -1 \rangle = \{3\}^{2}_{1} = d \bar{u} \ .[/tex] Now, you know the exact form of [itex]\pi^{0}[/itex] state, go back to consider the diagonal elements of the [itex]SU(3)[/itex] matrix [itex]\{8\}^{i}_{j}[/itex]: [tex]\{8\}^{1}_{1} = u \bar{u} - \frac{1}{3} \sum_{j = u,d,s} q^{j}\bar{q}_{j} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \pi^{0} + \frac{1}{6} \left( u \bar{u} + d \bar{d} - 2 s \bar{s} \right) \ ,[/tex] [tex]\{8\}^{2}_{2} = - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \pi^{0} + \frac{1}{6} \left( u \bar{u} + d \bar{d} - 2 s \bar{s} \right) \ ,[/tex][tex]\{8\}^{3}_{3} = - \frac{2}{6} \left( u \bar{u} + d \bar{d} - 2 s \bar{s}\right) \ .[/tex] This led to the identification of [itex]\eta_{8}[/itex] with the state [tex]\eta_{8} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} \left( u \bar{u} + d \bar{d} - 2 s \bar{s}\right) \ .[/tex]

1. What is the difference between π0 and η mesons?

π0 and η mesons are both subatomic particles that are composed of two quarks (a quark and an antiquark). The main difference between them is the composition of their quarks. π0 mesons are made up of an up quark and an anti-up quark, while η mesons are made up of a strange quark and an anti-strange quark.

2. How do π0 and η mesons differ in terms of mass?

The mass of a π0 meson is approximately 135 times the mass of an electron, while the mass of an η meson is approximately 548 times the mass of an electron. This means that η mesons are significantly heavier than π0 mesons.

3. What are the electric charges of π0 and η mesons?

Both π0 and η mesons have a neutral electric charge, meaning they have an equal number of positively and negatively charged particles. This is because they are composed of a quark and an antiquark, which have opposite charges that cancel each other out.

4. How do π0 and η mesons decay?

Both π0 and η mesons are unstable particles and decay into other particles. π0 mesons decay into two photons, while η mesons decay into three pions. This decay process is due to the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for the decay of many subatomic particles.

5. What is the significance of studying π0 and η mesons?

π0 and η mesons have unique properties that make them important for understanding the fundamental forces and particles of the universe. Studying their decay and interactions can provide insights into the strong and weak nuclear forces, as well as the structure of matter at a subatomic level. Additionally, these particles have important implications in high-energy physics and can help scientists understand the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in the early universe or in the core of a neutron star.