Metal: no attraction to magnet and block magnetic fields?

In summary, the metal should repel magnets and allow no magnetic fields to pass through it. It should also have the ability to deflect or guide magnetic fields.
tallatghazi
Hi,
Can anyone help me in finding out a Diamagnetic or Paramagnetism or Ferromagnetism or any other metal which has following capabilities:
1- Should not be attractive towards magnet.
2- Should not allow magnetic fields to pass through inside.

Thanks!

THG

Engineering news on Phys.org
tallatghazi said:
Hi,
Can anyone help me in finding out a Diamagnetic or Paramagnetism or Ferromagnetism or any other metal which has following capabilities:
1- Should not be attractive towards magnet.
2- Should not allow magnetic fields to pass through inside.

Thanks!

THG
Welcome to the PF.

You say you don't want it attracted to a magnet -- can it be repelled? Or do you not want any forces on your shield at all?

If it can be repelled, you might be able to enclose with a ferrous shield inside of a diamagnetic shield...

Thanks for you reply, yes the material CAN be repelled by magnet (as Diamagnetism) but issue is that material also should have capability of not letting any magnetic fields passing through it self.

Allow me to explain:
I know Pyrolytic Graphite or Bismuth metal repel Magnet but what will happen when 2 magnets being placed side by side (South pole of one magnet facing North pole of other magnet), sandwiching with a normal thickness plate of Pyrolytic Graphite or Bismuth? Does both magnets attract each other?

Minor Repelling force or no Force at all both will work.

tallatghazi said:
Thanks for you reply, yes the material CAN be repelled by magnet (as Diamagnetism) but issue is that material also should have capability of not letting any magnetic fields passing through it self.

Allow me to explain:
I know Pyrolytic Graphite or Bismuth metal repel Magnet but what will happen when 2 magnets being placed side by side (South pole of one magnet facing North pole of other magnet), sandwiching with a normal thickness plate of Pyrolytic Graphite or Bismuth? Does both magnets attract each other?
Can you say more about the application? It looks like the poles of the 2 magnets will still attract each other...

http://images.tutorvista.com/content/magnetism-matter/diamagnetic-specimen.jpeg
diamagnetic-specimen.jpe

If you block a magnetic field then it will push back on the magnet that generates that field.
Consider levitating a magnet above a superconductor, also consider a sheet of aluminium slowly falling between the poles of a magnet.
If it was an AC magnetic field you could use a sheet of aluminium or copper thicker than about twice the skin depth.

Attachments

• diamagnet.png
    diamagnet.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 868
Baluncore said:
If you block a magnetic field then it will push back on the magnet that generates that field.
Consider levitating a magnet above a superconductor, also consider a sheet of aluminium slowly falling between the poles of a magnet.
If it was an AC magnetic field you could use a sheet of aluminium or copper thicker than about twice the skin depth.

My concern is that I need to find a material which repels or show no force to magnetic fields + also magnetic fields of both magnets should NOT interact with each other.
Regarding super conductor, it also not work. Check this video

Well, if you are going to deflect or guide a magnetic field, that will cause some forces. Can you say more about the application? There may be some other solution.

There are a couple of dynamic tricks you could consider.

1. A spinning conductive disk will drag the flux along with the disk and prevent magnetic communication between the sides while the disk spins. For two magnets you might consider a two sided disk with an insulator between.

2. Reactive armour, or a magnetic chameleon. By measuring the magnetic field over the surfaces you could generate current loops to zero that field. Maybe something like that will cancel your nearby magnet and render the screen invisible to the magnet. It might need two layers of loops with a mu-metal sheet as the core.

Likes berkeman

1. What makes a metal not attracted to magnets?

The main factor that determines whether a metal will be attracted to a magnet is its atomic structure. Metals that are not attracted to magnets usually have an equal number of electrons spinning in opposite directions, canceling out their magnetic properties.

2. Can any metal be attracted to magnets?

No, not all metals can be attracted to magnets. As mentioned above, it depends on the metal's atomic structure and the alignment of its electrons. Metals such as iron, nickel, and cobalt are known as ferromagnetic metals and are attracted to magnets.

3. How can we block magnetic fields?

To block magnetic fields, we can use materials that are not easily magnetized, such as copper, aluminum, or lead. These materials have a different atomic structure that does not align with a magnetic field, thus blocking its effects.

4. Can a magnet lose its attraction to a metal?

Yes, magnets can lose their attraction to metals under certain conditions. When exposed to high temperatures or strong electromagnetic fields, the alignment of the electrons can be disrupted, causing the magnet to lose its magnetic properties.

5. Is it possible to make a non-magnetic metal attracted to magnets?

Yes, it is possible to make a non-magnetic metal attracted to magnets by exposing it to a strong magnetic field. This process is known as magnetization and involves temporarily aligning the electrons of the metal to make it behave like a magnet.