What is the Time and Distance for a Meter Stick to Fall?

• Thread starter guss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meter
In summary: Thanks for letting me know.In summary, the conversation involved discussing a problem with a meter stick balancing on its end and being pushed to tip over. The first part of the problem asked how long it would take for the stick to fall if the bottom did not slide, and the second part asked about the effects of friction on the stick's fall. The solution was found using conservation of energy and calculus. There was also a discussion about a missing post and a private message.
guss
I've been thinking about this simple problem a lot lately and it has been bugging me.

Let's say you have a meter stick that weighs 100g and is 1x.001x.001 meters (so it's more like a rod). You probably don't need all that information but I'll include it to be safe. The meter stick is balancing straight up so the top of the stick is a meter off the ground.

You push the top of the meter stick just enough. So it begins to tip in one direction (let's assume you tip it in the direction of one of the sides of the stick).

a) how long will it take the meter stick to fall if the bottom of the stick does not slide on the ground?

b) if the coefficients of friction between the stick and the ground is .1, how long will the stick take to fall (I think it's the same as part a)? How far will the center of the stick be from where it was when it landed in part a? After the stick lands, will it slide along the ground at all? (I don't think it will)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi guss! :smile:
guss said:
a) how long will it take the meter stick to fall if the bottom of the stick does not slide on the ground?

b) if the coefficients of friction between the stick and the ground is .1, how long will the stick take to fall (I think it's the same as part a)? How far will the center of the stick be from where it was when it landed in part a? After the stick lands, will it slide along the ground at all? (I don't think it will)

a) use conservation of energy

b) find the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=73" in the a) situation … that will tell you when the stick will start to slide :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still confused, not sure where to start.

Has your class discussed conservation of energy yet?

Redbelly98 said:
Has your class discussed conservation of energy yet?

Of course. I'm just not sure how to work that into this problem. I haven't done much calculus based physics, but I've done calculus.

You can find the time from conservation of energy?

@guss
Is this a problem that you made up yourself?
For the first case maybe you need to consider a bar articulated at the bottom end.

nasu said:
You can find the time from conservation of energy?
That's what I was trying to figure out. Still not quite sure how they are going to use conservation of energy to do that

nasu said:
Is this a problem that you made up yourself?
Yes.

guss said:
That's what I was trying to figure out. Still not quite sure how they are going to use conservation of energy to do that

Yes.

Do you know calculus? I swear I posted something here last night, but it's gone now. If you know calculus I'll post it again. If not, I don't see how you can solve the problem.

ngc1333 said:
Do you know calculus? I swear I posted something here last night, but it's gone now. If you know calculus I'll post it again. If not, I don't see how you can solve the problem.
I know a good amount of calculus. I actually found this (from you) in my email:

I = [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]ml2

The initial energy of the rod is

E0 = mg[itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex].

At any later time, the energy is

E = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mgycm+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I[itex]\omega[/itex]2

From conservation of energy:

mg[itex]\frac{l}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]mgycm+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I[itex]\omega[/itex]2

The y coordinate of the center of mass is ycm=l sin [itex]\theta[/itex]. Plugging that in, and solving for [itex]\omega[/itex] gives:

[itex]\omega[/itex] = [[itex]\frac{3g}{l}[/itex](1-sin[itex]\theta[/itex])]-1/2

Using the definition [itex]\omega[/itex]=[itex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/itex], we can write

[[itex]\frac{3g}{l}[/itex](1-sin[itex]\theta[/itex])]-1/2d[itex]\theta[/itex]=dt

You can then integrate over [itex]\theta[/itex][itex]\in[/itex]([itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex],0) to find the time.
- Show quoted text -
So I guess that helps a bit ;)

Interesting. I wonder what happened to that post. I tried to edit a mistake (the line after the "From conservation of energy" has an extra 1/2 that I tried to get rid of). I guess I screwed something up editing it.

ngc1333 said:
I swear I posted something here last night, but it's gone now.
ngc1333, you should have received a Private Message (PM) from me about that. Did you not receive it? Please check your Private Messages.

Redbelly98 said:
ngc1333, you should have received a Private Message (PM) from me about that. Did you not receive it? Please check your Private Messages.

Got it.

1. What causes a meter stick to tip over?

A meter stick will tip over due to an imbalance of forces acting on it. This could be caused by the center of mass being located outside of the base of support, or by an external force pushing or pulling on the stick.

2. How do you prevent a meter stick from tipping over?

To prevent a meter stick from tipping over, you can increase the base of support by widening the distance between the two ends of the stick. Additionally, you can adjust the position of the object being measured to ensure that the center of mass is directly above the base of support.

3. Can the material of the meter stick affect its stability?

Yes, the material of the meter stick can affect its stability. A heavier and denser material will have a lower center of mass, making it more stable. Additionally, a stick made of a flexible material may be more prone to bending and tipping over.

4. Does the length of the meter stick impact its likelihood of tipping over?

Yes, the length of the meter stick can impact its likelihood of tipping over. A longer stick will have a larger base of support, making it more stable. However, a longer stick may also be more flexible and prone to bending, which could affect its stability.

5. Are there any other factors that can cause a meter stick to tip over?

Yes, there are other factors that can cause a meter stick to tip over. Uneven surfaces, air resistance, and external forces such as wind or vibrations can all contribute to a meter stick tipping over. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements being taken can also play a role in the stick's stability.