Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Methods of Regulating Proteins

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    I have been looking into different methods of regulating protein activity for a project. I think it is pretty interesting and I want to learn more about this. I want to learn about the different methods out there, if you know of any cool or helpful regulation techniques I would certainly appreciate it.

For the project I am working on, need a method that is fast acting and activates a large quantity of a protein. I figure this means it needs to be regulated towards the end of protein production so there are a large number of inactive proteins that can be quickly activated on demand. The harder part, is that the proteins also need to "completely" inactivate on demand as well.

While I am looking for something specific, I do not want to limit my education, so if you know of some other cool methods I would love to know what they are! Anything from gene expressing to altering protein structure is helpful (I know thats pretty broad, but I like to learn. You do not have to explain it in depth, but sentence summery would be nice or link to an article).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

It depends a lot on the type of protein you'd like to regulate. Adding/removing a small molecule inhibitor of an enzyme can be a relatively fast way of inactivating/reactivating your protein, though it may be difficult to get complete inactivation when using a drug. Another approach could be to use an inducible degradation system such as the one described here: http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v6/n12/full/nmeth.1401.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook