Micrometeorite caught on camera in Oklahoma?

• Thread starter mp3car
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, a video captured on KOCO 5 News in the Morning showed a bright object in the sky that some viewers speculated to be a meteor. However, experts stated that it is not likely a meteor due to its glowing all the way to the ground and the motion not fitting that of a meteor. Further analysis suggests that it was most likely a lens flare or reflection from a moving light source. While some local professors claimed it was a meteor, their expertise in the subject is not well-accredited. Ultimately, it is concluded that the object captured on video was not a meteor.
mp3car
http://www.koco.com/news/flying-object-caught-on-koco-5-news-in-the-morning/31751658

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi
interesting video

firstly, just for your info ... a meteorite is only that after it has hit the ground, whilst in flight, its still a meteor

secondly ... don't know if you could call this a meteor. Meteors are not known for glowing all the way to the ground unless they are really massive
the "burning up" phase for all others takes place high in the atmosphere, 50 ++ km

I really don't know what has been captured there on video, but I seriously doubt that it was a meteor

Dave

The lens flare explanation in the comments there looks very reasonable. Some moving light source somewhere else got seen by the camera.

The motion does not fit to a meteor.

I later found a video where two local professors claimed it was likely a meteor... HOWEVER, those professors are not very well accredited to be weighing in on this subject; one holds a BS in Meteorology (ironically, doesn't make them an expert on meteors, despite the name), and the other one appears to have only taught 1000 and 2000 level math courses like college algebra and calc I...

I found this, which agrees exactly with what Dave said... "All but the largest meteors (like the one that formed Meteor Crater) quit burning and fall dark from an altitude of from 5 to 20 km (3.2 to 12.4 miles)." So... Even choosing the low end, this "appeared" to get much closer to the ground than 5km before going dark.
Item number 48A on http://meteorites.wustl.edu/realities.htm which links to: http://www.meteoritemarket.com/metid2.htm

Perhaps I'll reach out to a PhD-level astrophysicist at a reputable university, but probably shouldn't waste their time, I think you guys are right - it most likely was a lens flare/reflection of some kind...

Related to Micrometeorite caught on camera in Oklahoma?

1. What is a micrometeorite?

A micrometeorite is a small particle of extraterrestrial material, typically less than 2mm in diameter, that enters the Earth's atmosphere and survives to reach the surface.

2. How do micrometeorites end up on camera?

Micrometeorites are often too small to be seen with the naked eye, but they can sometimes be captured on camera when they enter the Earth's atmosphere and create a bright streak of light known as a meteor or shooting star.

3. What makes this particular micrometeorite in Oklahoma significant?

This particular micrometeorite caught on camera in Oklahoma is significant because it was captured on film by a meteor-tracking camera system called the Oklahoma City All Sky Camera Network, providing valuable data and insights about the trajectory and composition of the micrometeorite.

4. Are micrometeorites dangerous?

Micrometeorites are generally not dangerous as they are too small to cause any significant damage. However, larger meteorites can pose a threat to human life and property if they enter the Earth's atmosphere.

5. What can scientists learn from studying micrometeorites?

By studying micrometeorites, scientists can learn about the composition and origins of the solar system, as well as the processes that shape and change our planet over time. They can also provide insights into the potential hazards and risks posed by larger meteorites and asteroids.