Microwave tube mechanism of heating

In summary: and are generally not as susceptable to water absorption as regular ceramics. ceramics produced specifically for microwave oven use are more carefully produced and are generally not as susceptable to water absorption as regular ceramics.
Vrbic
Hello,
first of all, I understand, how microwave tube works but I'm interesting in how exactly the microwave heat up a things? What's the matter inside. I have heard about increasing energy of molecules of water by polarization them by micro-wave. But I have got a plate which is not from glass and it is heated up more than things on it. I suppose it is not from water :)
My idea is that lattice parameter "a" of that material has resonance length for micro-waves. Or frequency of these waves is resonance frequency for such lattice. Or where is true?

Science news on Phys.org
All that is necessary for a material to be heated is that it be a conductor which is not ideal, but lossy, i.e. has some resistance. It could also be a lossy dielectric or a lossy magnetic material; both of these have characteristic curves that show some hysteresis. All such materials absorb some energy from the microwaves. For example, most foods are lossy conductors. The microwave field induces currents in those materials and the I squared R loss produces heat.

Likes Vrbic
Alfred Cann said:
All that is necessary for a material to be heated is that it be a conductor which is not ideal, but lossy, i.e. has some resistance. It could also be a lossy dielectric or a lossy magnetic material; both of these have characteristic curves that show some hysteresis. All such materials absorb some energy from the microwaves. For example, most foods are lossy conductors. The microwave field induces currents in those materials and the I squared R loss produces heat.

no, this isn't correct

Vrbic said:
But I have got a plate which is not from glass and it is heated up more than things on it. I suppose it is not from water :)

ceramics in general are very good at absorbing microwave energy. and if there is still any moisture within the ceramic.
Then those water molecules will get warm in the same way as water molecules in the food via the absorbed energy
There are various ceramics that manufactured for their energy absorption without getting too hot to touch
these are available for use in microwave ovens. Also consider the ceramics that were used in the space shuttle heat protection tiles,
these tiles could be glowing red but you could still pick them up by handDave

Likes Vrbic
The dielectric heating process caused by microwave absorption is basically frictional - the electric and magnetic field vectors of the microwaves cause separated charge to move, so any molecules with a degree of charge separation (including any polar molecules such as water) will move in response to the incident microwaves and this will cause bulk heating of the material.

Likes Vrbic
Blibbler said:
The dielectric heating process caused by microwave absorption is basically frictional - the electric and magnetic field vectors of the microwaves cause separated charge to move, so any molecules with a degree of charge separation (including any polar molecules such as water) will move in response to the incident microwaves and this will cause bulk heating of the material.
So if I understand "classical" heating up of water: It is caused by ROTATING or MOVING of charged particles? My idea is that dipole molecules of water just turn round because of changing of electromangnetic field by microwave. Is it true?

davenn said:
Then those water molecules will get warm in the same way as water molecules in the food via the absorbed energy
Absorbed energy seems very general :) How exactly? Is it by rotating of dipol moleculs of water because of microwave (electromagnetic field)?
davenn said:
ceramics in general are very good at absorbing microwave energy. and if there is still any moisture within the ceramic.
Do you want to say that in ceramics are moleculs of water or that moleculs of ceramics behave similary as water? My plate was definitely dry (on surface).

Vrbic said:
My plate was definitely dry (on surface).

yes, but you don't know how dry the ceramic is inside. Standard kiln fired ceramics can still have small quantities of water in it

ceramics produced specifically for microwave oven use are more carefully produced

1. How does a microwave tube work?

A microwave tube works by converting electrical energy into microwaves, which are then directed into a closed metal cavity. The microwaves bounce off the walls of the cavity and cause the molecules of food inside to vibrate, which creates heat.

2. What is the mechanism of heating in a microwave tube?

The mechanism of heating in a microwave tube is known as dielectric heating. This occurs when the electric field of the microwaves causes the polar molecules in food to rapidly flip back and forth, generating heat through friction.

3. How is the temperature controlled in a microwave tube?

The temperature in a microwave tube is controlled by adjusting the power level and the duration of the microwaves. The longer the microwaves are emitted and the higher the power level, the hotter the food will become.

4. Are there any safety concerns with microwave tube heating?

Yes, there are safety concerns with microwave tube heating. The high power levels and radiation emitted by microwaves can be hazardous if not used properly. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines when operating a microwave tube.

5. What types of food can be heated in a microwave tube?

Most types of food can be heated in a microwave tube, as long as they contain enough water molecules to be heated through the dielectric heating process. However, foods with a high fat or sugar content may not heat as well because they do not have enough polar molecules.