Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MikTex installation error

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    To learn LaTex, I want to install MikTex but in installing it, I come across with a problem.
    installation error.png

It appears when click next. What is the problem and how can I solve it?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

First question is whether you install using administrator account. If you do, then have you another installation of MikTex there?

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3
    There is folder named miktex under the folder Program Files (x86). But there are a lot of subfolder under miktex folder. So how will I proceed now?

Thank you.

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

From your answer, I assume that you use administrator rights - if you don't you have to do so. Now, what do you mean there are a lot of subfolders there? You are in the process of installing. Were these files created by the current installation process or they were already there i.e. there is a previous installation of MikTex on your machine?

6. Feb 21, 2017 #5
    Probably, yes there is a previous installation of MikTex on my machine as you suspected in #2.

Thank you.

7. Feb 21, 2017 #6

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

If that's the case, then uninstall the previous version of MikTex, using the relevant section of the control panel and make sure that nothing is left in "Program Files" from the previous installation of MikTex. Then you have to do the installation for the version of MikTex you want, all over again.

EDIT: If you run Windows 10 you can uninstall programs by just using your start menu.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. Feb 21, 2017 #7
    But if it is installed, isn't it better to use it, but I cannot start it orI cannot find its exe file to start. How I can try to start it?

Thank you.

9. Feb 21, 2017 #8

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

MikTex is a TeX distribution. In order to use it, you need a TeX editor or IDE to edit, compile and view TeX documents. I recommend TexStudio, which is a decent and free LaTeX IDE but there are other great TeX editors / IDEs as well. You can find it here. You can download and install it. It features syntax highlighting, autocompletion, inline spell and grammar checker and much more. It is best to install it having already a TeX distribution installation (like MikTex) on your machine, in order to be identified by TexStudio. If it won't, there is an easy configuration process you can easily find on the net.

10. Feb 21, 2017 #9
  11. Feb 21, 2017 #10
    What is the difference between a TeX distribution and a TeX editor?

Thank you.

12. Feb 21, 2017 #11

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The same as the difference betwen a compiler and an IDE in programming.

The distribution is the set of programs and packages that allow your computer to process a TeX file into a finished document. It can be used by issuing some commands in a terminal window (as was always the case before windowing came around). To create the TeX file, you need some kind of editor (anything from Notepad to emacs).

A TeX editor or IDE serves as a windowing front end and will include an editor to create your TeX file and will display the finshed result (e.g., the PDF file), with everything running with button clicks instead of command lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted