You and Your Dog: A Mile Run Up and Down the Hill

• Thread starter nnnnnnnn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary, your dog runs the equivalent of 4/3 of a mile up the hill and back down, for a total of 1 mile.
nnnnnnnn
You and your dog run up a hill that is a mile long. Your dog runs half as fast as you. When you reach the top you immediately head back down. When you meet your dog, on your way down, he turns to follow you to the bottom. When your dog reaches the bottom, how far has he run?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hidden with colour 'select' the text, or press Ctrl-A to view.

4/3 miles. You run up the hill (one mile) and one third of a mile back down, for a total of 4/3 of a mile while the dog runs the 2/3 miles to meet you. Then the dog retraces his steps to the bottom. If he continues to run half as fast as you, when you reach the bottom he will have run one mile in total, but, after you wait for him to get back to the bottom, he will have run one-and-one-third, that is 4/3 miles.

Depends entirely on where the crest of the hill is...

Highlight to see

If the hill is one mile long, won't that make it 1/2 mile for each side. Secondly, assuming that its a 1/2 mile up each side exactly, then...

The dog goes up 1/4 mile, while you go up 1/2 mile

the dog then goes up 1/12 mile, while you go down 1/6 mile

then your dog goes the following 1/3 mile down, therefore, you travel 1 mile, while your dog travels 2/3 mile.

IF HOWEVER, THE HILL IS ONE MILE LONG HORIZONTALLY, THEN WE HAVE A WHOLE NOTHER PROBLEM ON OUR HANDS.

Also, if the hill is one mile long each side, then the dog travels a total of 1 1/2 miles.

d(dog) = 2*[(1/2) + (1/3)*(1/2)] = 2*[(1/2) + (1/6)] = 4/3 miles...but since this is a brain teaser, there's probably a catch somewhere !

hmm seems easy heh

::the dog went 1.333333 miles.::

The hill is entirely irrelevant.

The dog has traveled 9 1/3 miles. (That's dog miles! :D )

What the hell are dog miles?

Further to my earlier point- It also depends on the hight of the hill. traveling up a hill 100m high and a mile long covers much less distance than a hill 500m high and the same length.
There simply isn't enough information to give an answer.

noticeably FAT,
dog miles are smaller than human miles (not sure of the exact ratio). my dog thinks dog miles are too long so we use ant miles.

my dog also feels old so we use turtle years for his age.

bjr_jyd15 said:
noticeably FAT,
dog miles are smaller than human miles (not sure of the exact ratio). my dog thinks dog miles are too long so we use ant miles.

my dog also feels old so we use turtle years for his age.
Bah, does your dog use makeup to make itself look younger?

Noticeably FAT, you know I'm against using makeup on animals...but in this case I make a special consideration. He likes looking in the mirror at himself--so selfish!

A mile and a third right?

1. How often should I run with my dog?

The frequency of running with your dog depends on a variety of factors such as your dog's breed, age, and overall health. It is generally recommended to start with shorter runs and gradually increase the distance as your dog gets used to it. Consult with your veterinarian for specific recommendations for your dog.

2. What is the ideal distance for a mile run with my dog?

The ideal distance for a mile run with your dog will vary based on your dog's size, breed, and physical abilities. It is important to start with shorter distances and gradually increase the distance as your dog builds endurance. Monitor your dog's behavior and adjust the distance accordingly.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take while running with my dog?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions while running with your dog. Make sure your dog is wearing a secure and comfortable harness or collar, and is leashed at all times. Keep an eye out for any potential hazards such as cars, other dogs, or uneven terrain. Additionally, make sure your dog is well-hydrated and take breaks as needed.

4. Can all dogs participate in a mile run up and down the hill?

Not all dogs are physically capable of participating in a mile run up and down the hill. It is important to consider your dog's breed, age, and overall health before starting a running routine. Certain breeds, such as brachycephalic (flat-faced) breeds, may have difficulty breathing during intense exercise. It is best to consult with your veterinarian before starting any running routine with your dog.

5. Can I run with my dog off-leash?

Running with your dog off-leash is not recommended. Leashing your dog ensures their safety and prevents them from running off or getting into potential hazards. It also helps you maintain control and keep a consistent pace. If you are in an area where off-leash running is allowed, make sure your dog is well-trained and responds to commands before attempting it.