1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Miller indices

1. Jan 28, 2006 #1
    I'm not exactly sure what to do here after I find the direction, can anyone help me out? Thanks:

Sketch the [tex]
    \left[ {0\overline 1 1} \right]
    [/tex] direction. Which {110} and {111} plane(s) does it lie in?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That is a poorly worded question. I can't remember being asked a question like that with regard to miller indicies. It's pretty obvious to get the direction, but I really don't understand what they are looking for in the second part either. Unless they are eluding to the notion that parallel planes have the same indicies...Maybe a read of this thread may help. Astronuc is the man!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=92257

4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    The sketching part is simple. Draw a cartesian coordinate system and use the definitions of the indices. I can't understand the second question either.

5. Jan 28, 2006 #4
    I don't understand it either and my test is on monday! (this is a practice test) There is a 3rd part thats kinda confusing too, he did not do any of this stuff in class:

What are the indices of the four directions of the form <111> that lie in the [tex]
    \left( {\overline 1 01} \right)
    [/tex] plane of a cibic cell?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?