Min Power for motor Question

In summary, the minimum power in kilowatts that the motor must deliver to lift the fully loaded elevator at a constant speed of 3.00m/s is 64.92kW.

What is the purpose of life?

• To worship God.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Live life to the fullest.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Have as many friends as possible.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help those in need.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
jman565

Homework Statement

A 1.0X10^3kg elevator carries a maximum load of 800.0 kg. A constant frictional force of 4.0x10^3N retards the elevator's motion upward. What minimum power in kilowatts must the motor deliver to lift the fully loaded elevator at a constant speed of 3.00m/s?

Homework Equations

This is part of my problem that I don't understand.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made an attempt because I do not know the equation. I'm studying for my college finals and this is a question that my friend made for a review. Unfortunately, he is visiting a family member who is expecting to pass soon. Any advice would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Work is force times distance. At constant speed and force, power is force times velocity. That's what you need. What's with the inane poll? The purpose of life is to answer Forum questions from people who don't make an effort.

i arrived 65.7832 kw.
Is that correct? man he should have made an answer key.

Dick said:
Work is force times distance. At constant speed and force, power is force times velocity. That's what you need. What's with the inane poll? The purpose of life is to answer Forum questions from people who don't make an effort.
is 65.7832 kw the right answer?

jman565 said:
is 65.7832 kw the right answer?

My answer is a little bit different. Not much. What are you using for g?

9.812 m/s2

That's the difference. I was using 9.8.

what did u get?

64.92kW. The difference is just in the value of g.

can u check it with 9.812? i don't have a calculator...

Why? No, I don't want to. Get a calculator. I checked your answer.

omgravity i don't have one. anywhere. at all. my friend has it. the one in CA right now visiting his family member that could die very soon. i really need your help. it won't take you long at all. please?

I've consigned you to the 'joke' column. I also hit "report". You'll need another alias. A-hole.

i reported u too.

This silly thread is done.

1. What is the minimum power required for a motor?

The minimum power required for a motor depends on several factors such as the type of motor, the load it needs to drive, and the speed at which it needs to operate. Generally, the minimum power required for a motor can be calculated by considering the torque required for the load and the speed at which it needs to be moved.

2. How do I calculate the minimum power required for a motor?

To calculate the minimum power required for a motor, you need to know the torque required for the load and the speed at which it needs to be moved. Then, you can use the formula P = (T x N) / 9.55, where P is the power in watts, T is the torque in Nm, and N is the speed in rpm. This will give you the minimum power required for the motor in watts.

3. Can I use a motor with a lower power rating than the minimum required?

It is not recommended to use a motor with a lower power rating than the minimum required. This can result in the motor being overloaded and can lead to premature failure or damage to the motor. It is important to choose a motor with a power rating that meets or exceeds the minimum required for optimal performance.

4. How does the load affect the minimum power required for a motor?

The load is a major factor in determining the minimum power required for a motor. A heavier load will require more torque, which in turn will require a higher power motor. Similarly, a lighter load will require less torque and a lower power motor. It is important to carefully consider the load when selecting a motor to ensure it can handle the required torque and power.

5. Does the type of motor affect the minimum power required?

Yes, the type of motor can affect the minimum power required. For example, a stepper motor may require less power than a DC motor of the same size, as it operates in discrete steps rather than continuously. Additionally, different types of motors may have different efficiencies, which can impact the minimum power required for a given load and speed.