Minimum value of $a$ for Quadratic Polynomial

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a quadratic polynomial with two distinct roots and positive integer coefficients. The problem asks for the minimum possible value of $a$, but there is a typo in the problem statement. Upon correction, it is discovered that there is a flaw in the wording of the problem, as it is unclear if the condition $p<1$ actually means $p\ne 1$. The conversation also includes a calculation showing that if $p=4$ and $q=\frac{1}{2}$, then $b$ is not an integer.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
The quadratic polynomial $ax^2+bx+c$ has two distinct roots $p$ and $q$, with $a,\,b,\,c$ are positive integers and with $p>0$ and $q<1$.

Find the minimum possible value of $a$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
The quadratic polynomial $ax^2+bx+c$ has two distinct roots $p$ and $q$, with $a,\,b,\,c$ are positive integers and with $p>0$ and $q<1$.

if a,b ,c all are positive then it cannot have a positive root as per Descartes' rules of sign so no solution

kaliprasad said:
if a,b ,c all are positive then it cannot have a positive root as per Descartes' rules of sign so no solution

Ops...typo! It was a typo! (Tmi)

The problem should read as:

The quadratic polynomial $ax^2-bx+c$ has two distinct roots $p$ and $q$, with $a,\,b,\,c$ are positive integers and with $p>0$ and $q<1$.

Sorry for my careless mistake and thanks for catching my error.

as b is -ve and c is positive so both roots are positive and hence one root is between 0 and 1 and another anything
by looking at rational roots
so let one root be $\frac{r}{s}$ ( s > 1) and another d/e we need to minimize se (s = 2 and e = 1 shall do)

we get $(2x-1)(x-1) = 2x^2- 3x +1 = 0$

so 2 is the lowest a

checking for irrational we have $( 1- \frac{1}{sqrt(2)})$ and its conjugate we get 2
so lowest is 2

You're right, kaliprasad and I think this problem has its own flaw since the wording where $p>0$ and $q<1$ isn't that clear because I suspect it might actually want to convey the meaning of $p>0$ and $p\ne 1$.

Thanks for participating, my friend! :D

anemone said:
The quadratic polynomial $ax^2-bx+c$ has two distinct roots $p$ and $q$, with $a,\,b,\,c$ are positive integers and with $p>0$ and $q<1$.

I suspect I'm missing something... (Thinking)

Suppose we pick $(x-4)(x-\frac 12) = x^2-2x+2$ with $p=4$ and $q=\frac 12$.

quadratic polynomial $ax^2-bx+c$$\checkmark$
two distinct roots $p$ and $q$$\checkmark$
$a,\,b,\,c$ are positive integers$\checkmark$
$p>0$ and $q<1$$\checkmark$

That gives me a minimum value $a=1$, which is the smallest positive integer value.
What am I missing? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:

That gives me a minimum value $a=1$, which is the smallest positive integer value.
I think $(x-4)(x-\frac 12) = x^2-\dfrac{9x}{2}+2$ and in that case, we see that $b\ne \text{integer}$.(Thinking)

$(x-4)(x-\frac{1}{2}) = x^2 -\frac{9}{2}x + 2$ and b is a fraction
I like Serena said:

edit: while I was typing anemones post came.

anemone said:
I think $(x-4)(x-\frac 12) = x^2-\dfrac{9x}{2}+2$ and in that case, we see that $b\ne \text{integer}$.(Thinking)

kaliprasad said:

edit: while I was typing anemones post came.

Oh! (Blush)(Blush)

What is the minimum value of $a$ for a quadratic polynomial?

The minimum value of $a$ for a quadratic polynomial is determined by the coefficient of the squared term, also known as the leading coefficient. The minimum value occurs when the leading coefficient is positive, and it is equal to zero when the leading coefficient is negative.

How do you find the minimum value of $a$ for a quadratic polynomial?

The minimum value of $a$ can be found by using the formula $a = \frac{-b}{2c}$, where $b$ and $c$ are the coefficients of the linear and squared terms, respectively. This formula is derived from the vertex form of a quadratic equation, which is $y = a(x-h)^2 + k$, where the coordinates of the vertex are given by $(h,k)$.

What does the minimum value of $a$ represent in a quadratic polynomial?

The minimum value of $a$ represents the stretch or compression factor of the quadratic polynomial. A larger value of $a$ results in a steeper curve, while a smaller value of $a$ results in a flatter curve. In other words, the minimum value of $a$ determines the shape of the parabola.

Is the minimum value of $a$ the same for all quadratic polynomials?

No, the minimum value of $a$ can vary for different quadratic polynomials. It is dependent on the coefficients of the quadratic equation, which can be different for each polynomial. However, the minimum value of $a$ will always be positive when the parabola opens upwards, and negative when the parabola opens downwards.

How does the minimum value of $a$ affect the x-intercepts of a quadratic polynomial?

The minimum value of $a$ does not directly affect the x-intercepts of a quadratic polynomial. However, it does determine the location of the vertex, which is the point where the parabola intersects the x-axis. The x-intercepts are determined by the values of the other coefficients in the quadratic equation.