Understanding Mining Techniques: How Miners Locate & Protect Valuable Resources

In summary: In summary, the miners use historical experience, core samples, and technology to determine where to dig for precious minerals.
Ukitake Jyuushirou
Hi all,

I have a question about mining (as in gem, uranium, gold etc). How do the miners know where to dig and how not to damage the ore during the mining process?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
Hi all,

I have a question about mining (as in gem, uranium, gold etc). How do the miners know where to dig and how not to damage the ore during the mining process?

Thanks
There is a lot of historical experience. The big mining companies more or less know where huge deposits might be, and then they drill for samples, which are then tested.

Metallogenesis and mineral ore deposits

Understanding mineral deposits

http://jeotermal.sdu.edu.tr/yayin/Comparison%20of%20Mineral%20Deposits.pdf

www.mta.gov.tr/english/dergi/dergi_pdf/76/7.pdf[/URL]

This gives an idea how core samples are strategically determined.
http://www.pdac.ca/pdac/publications/papers/2003/Schloderer.pdf

I'm not sure what means by "damaging the ore". It's dug in bulk out of the ground, then processed (concentrated) at the site. A more recent process is in-situ acid leaching, but that can have detrimental environmental impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is with mining, I'm always seeing them use big machines to drill into the Earth but then how would they know when to stop when they hit a lode of gold or diamonds? I am assuming of course that the drill bit can destroy the very thing they are trying to mine.

But even if they know where more or less the precious minerals are at, I'm pretty sure they would hire a geologist to map out the areas underneath the Earth and the depth where its located at. So does anyone know the equipment, science and technique behind such an endeavor?

Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
But even if they know where more or less the precious minerals are at, I'm pretty sure they would hire a geologist to map out the areas underneath the Earth and the depth where its located at. So does anyone know the equipment, science and technique behind such an endeavor?

See Chapter 3 (Technologies in Exploration, Mining, and Processing) in this report: Evolutionary and Revolutionary Technologies for Mining (2002)

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=10318

1. What is mining engineering?

Mining engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the extraction, processing, and management of minerals and other natural resources from the earth. It combines principles of geology, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering to develop safe and efficient methods for mining and processing minerals.

2. What are the job responsibilities of a mining engineer?

Mining engineers are responsible for designing and planning mines, overseeing the extraction and processing of minerals, and ensuring the safety and environmental sustainability of mining operations. They also manage the transportation and storage of minerals, as well as the reclamation of land after mining is complete.

3. What skills are important for a career in mining engineering?

Some important skills for a mining engineer include knowledge of geology and mineralogy, proficiency in mining software and technology, strong problem-solving and analytical skills, and the ability to work in a team. Excellent communication and leadership skills are also important for managing mining operations and teams.

4. What are the challenges faced by mining engineers?

Mining engineers face various challenges in their work, including ensuring the safety of workers in underground mines, managing the environmental impact of mining activities, and dealing with fluctuations in mineral prices and demand. They also have to constantly adapt to new technologies and regulations in the mining industry.

5. How is technology changing the field of mining engineering?

Technology is playing a significant role in the field of mining engineering. Advancements in mining software, automation, and robotics have improved the efficiency and safety of mining operations. Drones and remote sensing technologies are also being used for exploration and monitoring of mines. Additionally, technology has enabled the development of more sustainable mining practices, reducing the environmental impact of mining activities.