Will a Minor in Communications Help Me Excel in My Space Exploration Career?

In summary, Dauden is considering getting a minor in communications in order to become better at public speaking. He is worried that taking just one course will not be enough, but he wants to learn and apply anyways. He recommends Toastmasters to help him improve his skills.
Dauden
Just a little background: I'm a junior in mechanical engineering and only recently have I considered getting a minor not related to my field. For a career, I plan on going into something involving space exploration (a little vague yes).

Now about the communications minor: I, myself, am not the best at public speaking or high pressure one on one conversations. Even in conversations with friends I can pause often and go "uh uh um uh uh" if something unexpected comes up. I DO NOT want this to stay with me throughout my life especially with this chosen career. Being what the industry is, I know there are times where you need to persuade someone to accept your idea or convince them to fund it.

I would like to be better at this by doing some communications courses.

Now, my question.. Would this actually help me with that goal? I don't think taking just one course would help, I would probably just try to get through the course. I want to learn and apply. Right now, I get extremely nervous at the prospect of public speaking. I want to at least numb that a little bit.

Would the minor help me in doing this? And more importantly, is it worth taking up time from my engineering courses to pursue this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to start by getting comfortable talking to strangers. Then, find any excuse to speak in public. A cool thing I do whenever I get the chance is to poke fun at anything I can think of - improvised "speech". If done right, chicks (or people in general) dig it, which isn't a bad thing.
Then again, it might be because I was talking about overcoming social anxiety, then moved on to talking about how Twilight is everything that's wrong with our world...when everybody else spoke about very serious stuff like euthanasia, burning out a-a-and zzZzzzZzz...

In any event, practice is key. Have at it man!
Also, don't get discouraged if things don't work out the way you want them to. Try to *not* talk too much and over-analyse everything you say or that is said to you. I think you might actually like the experience. Striking up conversations with strangers is really interesting.

Dauden said:
Just a little background: I'm a junior in mechanical engineering and only recently have I considered getting a minor not related to my field. For a career, I plan on going into something involving space exploration (a little vague yes).

Now about the communications minor: I, myself, am not the best at public speaking or high pressure one on one conversations. Even in conversations with friends I can pause often and go "uh uh um uh uh" if something unexpected comes up. I DO NOT want this to stay with me throughout my life especially with this chosen career. Being what the industry is, I know there are times where you need to persuade someone to accept your idea or convince them to fund it.

I would like to be better at this by doing some communications courses.

Now, my question.. Would this actually help me with that goal? I don't think taking just one course would help, I would probably just try to get through the course. I want to learn and apply. Right now, I get extremely nervous at the prospect of public speaking. I want to at least numb that a little bit.

Would the minor help me in doing this? And more importantly, is it worth taking up time from my engineering courses to pursue this?

Thanks

Hey Dauden and welcome to the forums.

For what you have in mind I would recommend Toastmasters. It's an international group that focuses primarily on the things you are trying to improve on in your life.

I got to Toastmasters myself, and in my opinion it will help you with all the things you have mentioned, as Toastmasters has helped me in the exact same way.

Many universities have a Toastmasters chapter, but there are also many towns and cities and suburbs that also have a chapter. Some might even contain multiple chapters in a small local vicinity.

I recommend you check it out, and by the sounds of your post, I think you will enjoy it a lot.

Thanks, I'll definitely check Toastmasters out. It will save me much time and money!

Hopefully, I'll stick with it as well. Haha.

for considering incorporating a communications minor into your academic plan as a junior in mechanical engineering. You have a clear understanding of the importance of effective communication in any career, and particularly in the field of space exploration. I can assure you that a minor in communications can greatly benefit you in your chosen career path.

Effective communication is essential in the space exploration industry, as it involves collaboration with diverse teams, presenting complex ideas to colleagues and stakeholders, and advocating for funding and support for projects. A minor in communications can help you develop skills such as public speaking, persuasive communication, and active listening, which are highly valued in the industry.

Furthermore, as you mentioned, you struggle with public speaking and high-pressure conversations. A communications minor can provide you with tools and techniques to overcome these challenges and become a more confident and effective communicator. You will also have the opportunity to practice these skills in a safe and supportive environment, which can help you overcome your nerves and build your confidence.

In terms of whether it is worth taking up time from your engineering courses, I believe it is a valuable investment in your future. Effective communication is a transferable skill that can benefit you in any career, and it is particularly crucial in the highly competitive and collaborative field of space exploration. By adding a communications minor to your academic plan, you will not only enhance your skills and knowledge but also make yourself a more well-rounded and competitive candidate in the job market.

I would suggest speaking with your academic advisor and career counselor to discuss your specific academic and career goals and how a communications minor can complement your engineering studies. They can help you choose courses that align with your interests and career aspirations and make the most of your academic experience.

In summary, a communications minor can certainly help you excel in your space exploration career by developing your communication skills and boosting your confidence. It is a valuable investment of your time and will greatly benefit you in the long run. I wish you all the best in your academic and professional pursuits.

What is a minor in Communications?

A minor in Communications is an academic program that focuses on the study of mass communication and its various forms, such as journalism, public relations, advertising, and media production. It provides students with a foundational understanding of the theories and practices of effective communication in today's digital age.

What are the benefits of pursuing a minor in Communications?

A minor in Communications can enhance your critical thinking, writing, and presentation skills, as well as your understanding of media and its role in society. It can also broaden your career options, as communication skills are highly valued in a variety of industries and professions.

Can I pursue a minor in Communications if my major is in a different field?

Yes, most universities allow students to pursue a minor in Communications regardless of their major. This is because effective communication skills are valuable in any field and can complement other areas of study.

What courses are typically included in a minor in Communications?

The courses included in a minor in Communications vary by university, but they generally cover topics such as media and society, media writing, public relations, advertising, and media production. Some programs also offer courses in specialized areas, such as digital media or international communication.

How can a minor in Communications benefit my future career?

A minor in Communications can benefit your future career by providing you with skills that are highly valued in today's job market, such as effective communication, critical thinking, and digital media literacy. It can also open up opportunities for careers in various industries, including media, marketing, public relations, and advertising.