Discovering the Perfect Optics: Mirrors and Prisms for Precise Light Reflection

• Thread starter itzela
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a mirror or prism that can reflect incident light parallel to a fixed axis, regardless of the angle at which the light comes in. While a simple mirror or right angle prism cannot achieve this, a combination of shapes or the use of fiber optics may be possible. The idea of a concave mirror with a point light source placed at the focal point is suggested as a potential solution. However, it is important to ensure that the center of rotation of the light source remains at the focus of the parabola in order to achieve parallel output.
itzela
I'm trying to find a mirror or a prism which would always reflect any incident light ray parallel to the a fixed axis (drawing attatched), no matter what the angle. I've found that right angle prisms reflect light parallel to the an axis, but I don't think works for rays coming at different angles. I would really appreciate any help =)

Attachments

• optics.JPG
    optics.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but if I do, I'm pretty sure the answer is that there is no such prism/mirror. You're looking for something where the light out is always horizontal (in your sketch) regardless of what angle the light comes in at? Not possible: the angle of incidence always equals the angle of reflection.

"Not possible: the angle of incidence always equals the angle of reflection."

In a simple mirror, yes. But some combination of shapes or combination of mirrors and prisms might yield what she's looking for.

Itzela, I can't help you either, but try considering it from the other end. If you stepped into that beam of light emanating from your device what would you see?

Perhaps using mirrors or prisms could not achieve what you are looking for, but THERE IS a way to do it if image clarity is of little concern!
The method involves using fiber optics.
If you had enough fiber optic strands, one could construct a shape with them that would be similar to the shape of a mushroom(cap and stem).
From this arrangement, any incident light on the fiber optic "cap" would be directed out the "stem"
With enough fiber optic strands, one could advance the working principle and create a "sphere" as the cap, with the stem coming out of the sphere.

A Fresnel lens only works on light coming from one particular point.

Light coming out of fiber optic cables does not come straight out, it bounces around on the interior of the fiber and usually exits at an angle.

I just thought about using a concave mirror and adjust the light source to always pass through the focal point of the mirror. That way all the reflected rays would come out parallel to the principal axis. Do you guys think it'll work?

How do you always get the incident light to pass through the focal point?

Maybe by placing the light source directly on the focal point and varying the incident angle... or by manually simply changing the location of the light source (laser) so it passes through the focal point. Any better ideas?

A point source located at the focus of a parabola will create a beam parallel to the symmetry axis of the parabola.

I was thinking of mounting a laser to a rotatable tripod and placing the tip of the laser on the focal point and rotating the tripod in order to produce parallel beams at different heights. But I'm not sure if the reflected beams will always come out parallel to the symmetry axis of the parabola since they're being shifted from the focal point as the laser rotates. Is there any setup which would allow for the rays to always reflect parallel to the axis?

As long as the center of rotation of the laser is at the focus of the parabola ,then you're in business. Regardless of where the laser is located, if a line along the axis of the laser continues to go through the focus of the parabola then the output will be parallel. If you've got a large angular range, then the tough part is to pick the correct shape and then build it accurately enough to satisfy your needs.

1. What is the difference between mirrors and prisms?

Mirrors and prisms are both used for reflecting light, but they differ in their shape and the way they reflect light. Mirrors have a flat surface and reflect light at the same angle that it hits the surface, creating a clear and undistorted image. Prisms, on the other hand, have a triangular shape and use the process of refraction to split white light into its component colors.

2. How are mirrors and prisms used in everyday life?

Mirrors are used in many everyday objects, such as mirrors for personal grooming, car rearview mirrors, and telescopes. Prisms are commonly used in cameras, binoculars, and projectors to manipulate and reflect light for improved image quality.

3. Can mirrors and prisms be used together?

Yes, mirrors and prisms can be used together to achieve specific results. For example, a periscope uses both mirrors and prisms to reflect light at different angles, allowing an observer to see around corners or over obstacles.

4. How do scientists create perfect optics for precise light reflection?

Scientists use advanced techniques and materials to create perfect optics for precise light reflection. This includes using high-quality materials with minimal flaws, precise shaping and polishing techniques, and advanced coatings to minimize light loss and distortion.

5. What are the potential applications of perfect optics for precise light reflection?

The potential applications of perfect optics for precise light reflection are vast and varied. They can be used in scientific instruments, such as microscopes and telescopes, to improve image quality and accuracy. They can also be used in industries such as telecommunications, where precise light reflection is crucial for data transmission. Additionally, they have applications in everyday consumer products, such as cameras and eyeglasses, to improve the quality of images and vision.