Misconceptions about length contraction

In summary, the quiz on this website seems to suggest that length contraction is possible under general relativity, but it is not always practical.
delton
Could someone please, briefy explain length contraction under general relativity?? Is it possibly for the universe to contract around a spaceship so that the distances between stars become only inches.. and thus it becomes possible to reach stars lightyears away in very little time?

THe quiz "misconceptions on general relativity" on this site seems to support this, but is it true?? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
delton said:
Could someone please, briefy explain length contraction under general relativity?? Is it possibly for the universe to contract around a spaceship so that the distances between stars become only inches.. and thus it becomes possible to reach stars lightyears away in very little time?

THe quiz "misconceptions on general relativity" on this site seems to support this, but is it true?? :confused:

you sure this is a k-12 problem? :tongue2:

If I were you I'd start with special relativity, which also predicts length contraction. I am not a physicist or a moderately intelligent person; and I feel as if I am lightyears away from the outermost circle of Gen. Rel. -- except when I am moving very, very fast. :smile:

Yes, it is true. If you are moving very fast- very close to the speed of light relative to some "stationary" place, youcan get from one star to another quickly.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, it is true. If you are moving very fast- very close to the speed of light relative to some "stationary" place, youcan get from one star to another quickly.

Does that mean that in practical terms, it doesn't make much difference if the object cannot reach the speed of light?

Depends on what you mean by "practical". If an astronaut could fly at 90% the speed of light, he could fly to proxima centauri and back in only a few hours, relative to himself. However, to his wife and kids, the round trip would take more than 10 years!

Thanks guys, I just wanted some basic confirmation on this, and not anything too advanced...

1. What is length contraction?

Length contraction, also known as Lorentz contraction, is a concept in special relativity that states that the length of an object will appear shorter in the direction of motion when viewed by an observer in a different reference frame.

2. Is length contraction a real phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction is a real phenomenon that has been experimentally verified. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is crucial for understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

3. Why does length contraction happen?

Length contraction happens because of the relativity of simultaneity. As an object moves at high speeds, the time it takes for a beam of light to travel between two points on the object's surface becomes longer. This causes the object to appear shorter in the direction of motion.

4. Is length contraction the same as perspective distortion?

No, length contraction and perspective distortion are two different concepts. Perspective distortion occurs when viewing an object from different angles, while length contraction occurs due to the movement of an object at high speeds in relation to an observer.

5. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, the effects of length contraction are only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light. Objects in our everyday life do not move at such high speeds, so we do not observe length contraction in our everyday experiences.