Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mobility of holes and electrons

1. May 15, 2008 #1
    hi,
    holes are the absence of electrons in the lattice, right? then how come we say holes have a +ve charge? shouldnt it be zero?
    also, why is the mobility of electrons more than holes?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

This is what I wrote for another thread:

As for the other question, I'm guessing it's something to do with the magnitude of their effective masses.

4. May 15, 2008 #3
    i should ve searched for that before posting a new thread. it makes sense, yes..

what would the effective mass of a hole be??

5. May 15, 2008 #4
    Where would you usually find a hole? And where would you usually find an electron?

Where == which band?

Yes, the effective masses of holes and electrons are different. The mobility is a function of the effective mass, which is a theoretical tool brought in to simplify the description of a charged particle in a crystal. Classically, the concept of an effective mass is analogous to that of a 'psuedo force' in Newtonian mechanics.

In the simplified, Drude model, the mobility is inversely proportional to the effective mass, for a fixed mean free time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?