1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling a power as sum of combination

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to come up with a logical explanation (using an example from real life modeled in Combination and/or Permutation) to show that 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i). In other words, I am trying to pose a combinatorial/selection/combination question that then can be modeled as both sides of the equation.

2. Relevant equations

Combinations and Permutations.

3. The attempt at a solution

My trial is that 3^n could be modeled as having 3 boxes and we are placing n items in it (eg. balls). So, if we pick n=5, it is as selecting 3 balls to put in box one, then returning them, then selecting 3 balls to put in box 2, then returning..etc while the order of selection is "don't care". However, I still can't show how that translates into the right side of the equation. Any help or pointers?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

This is a half-baked idea, see whether you can make anything of it. I have not thought it through, though, not thoroughly. :smile: (Really, I haven't.)

You have discovered a strange mutant strain of yeast cell, here's a slide specimen I prepared -> :bugeye:

Each cell continuously grows in size (diameter) during the period of your study, and on a weekly basis each cell produces a pair of tiny but reproductively-mature offspring. This means the population triples in size every week. You happen to start with an initial population of just 3 cells.

With this scenario, you behold an ever-increasing range of sizes in your yeast culture, with the original 3 always largest in diameter, followed by their first daughters comprising the 6 next largest, followed by 18 same-sized cells (being a mix of daughters and grand-daughters of the original trio), etc.

After 12 weeks, determine how many of these cells populate your laboratory. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook