Model Evaporation of Raindrop with Differential Equation

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary, we want to write a differential equation to model the volume of a spherical raindrop as it evaporates proportionally to its surface area over time. The volume will decrease over time, so we need a negative sign. The water evaporates at a constant rate c depending on the surface area. Therefore, the differential equation is dV/dt = -cS, where V is the volume and t is time. After solving for the radius r using the volume equation, we can substitute it into the surface area equation to get S = √(9V^(2/3)). Substituting this back into the DE, we get dV/dt = -kV^(2/3), where k is a positive
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A spherical raindrop evaporates at a rate proportional to its surface area. Write a differential equation for the volume of the raindrop as a function of time.

Homework Equations

Volume of a sphere = V = (4/3)πr3
Surface area of a sphere = S = 4πr2

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want to write a differential equation to model the volume of the rain drop as the rain drop evaporates proportionally to its surface area over time.

So we have to consider the volume with respect to time. The volume will decrease over time, so we need a negative sign. The water evaporates at some constant rate ##c## depending on ##S##.

Hence ##\frac{dV}{dt} = -cS## for some c>0 ( c must be positive otherwise the water is not evaporating ).

Unfortunately, I can't just plug ##S## in because it won't do anything useful. If I solve for the radius ##r## using ##V## and then plug my solution into ##S## I get :

##S = \sqrt[3]{9} V^{\frac{2}{3}}##

Now subbing this back I get :

##\frac{dV}{dt} = -kV^{\frac{2}{3}}## for some k>0.

This should model the volume with respect to time as the drop evaporates.

Is my reasoning okay here or is there some things I should improve on?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me!

S and V are all fine for an unknown shape, but you know how the volume and the surface area of the rain drop depend on the radius. IMO, your differential equation also should be written as a function of the radius with respect to time.

SteamKing said:
S and V are all fine for an unknown shape, but you know how the volume and the surface area of the rain drop depend on the radius. IMO, your differential equation also should be written as a function of the radius with respect to time.
The requirement was to write a DE involving V and t. It would be wrong to have r in there.

What is the purpose of modeling evaporation of raindrop with differential equation?

The purpose of modeling evaporation of raindrop with differential equation is to understand and predict the rate of evaporation of a raindrop based on various factors such as temperature, humidity, and wind speed. This can help in improving weather forecasting and also in understanding the impact of climate change on evaporation rates.

What factors affect the rate of evaporation of a raindrop?

The rate of evaporation of a raindrop is affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, wind speed, and surface area of the raindrop. Higher temperatures, lower humidity, and higher wind speeds lead to faster evaporation, while a larger surface area results in a higher rate of evaporation.

How is the differential equation for modeling evaporation of raindrop derived?

The differential equation for modeling evaporation of raindrop is derived by considering the balance between the rate of evaporation and the rate of change in mass of the raindrop. This equation takes into account the physical properties of the raindrop and the environmental factors that affect evaporation.

What are the limitations of the model for evaporation of raindrop with differential equation?

The model for evaporation of raindrop with differential equation has certain limitations. It assumes a spherical raindrop, neglects the effects of air pressure and air density, and does not consider the effects of impurities in the raindrop. It also assumes a constant environmental condition, which may not always be the case.

How is the accuracy of the model for evaporation of raindrop with differential equation validated?

The accuracy of the model for evaporation of raindrop with differential equation can be validated by comparing its predictions with actual observations of raindrop evaporation in different environmental conditions. The model can also be validated by conducting controlled experiments in a laboratory setting.