Model Evaporation in Closed System

In summary, a closed system model of evaporation is possible, however understanding the mechanics of the process beyond equilibrium is necessary.
_tim_
Hi there!

My first post, exciting. What I'm after is a little help steering me in the right direction. I'm attempting to model evaporation in a closed system, and I'm not sure how to go about it. That is, let's assume we have a liquid in a partially filled container, and the rest is filled with vacuum initially just to make things easier. The container is sealed and no heat is able to enter the system.

The liquid is below its vapour pressure, so evaporation will happen, pressurising the container until an equilibrium point is reached. The equilibrium point can be worked out algebraically--easy enough. What I'm interested in, however, is modelling the transients. That is, evaporation will cause a localized temperature drop near the surface of the liquid owing to the latent heat of evaporation of the liquid, and this cooler fluid will in turn set up some natural convection in both phases I'm assuming. As well, the net decrease in temperature will cause the vapour pressure of the liquid to decrease as well, causing more evaporation and more pressure in the gas-filled portion of the vessel. Etc. etc...

So let's say I have well defined thermophysical information about the fluid, what I'm wondering is where I can find some information about the mechanics of the process beyond the hand-waving I've done in the previous paragraph? Ultimately, I'd like to model this situation numerically and include heat transfer from the vessel, but the first part is developing said model.

Google has led me to a number of articles about modeling of boiling, which is a little more resolution than what I think I need at this point (especially as those sorts of systems are notoriously difficult to simulate) and was hoping there may be something more accessible out there.

This is a little outside my normal area of work, hence why I'm a bit lost as to what to search for.

Engineering news on Phys.org
At equilibrium, there will be exchange of energy only at the phase interface. I see no reason why circulation will continue in the gas or the liquid after equilibrium is reached. Without external energy, there will be no energy to drive circulation, so the shape of the container and the circulation modes or patterns will not be important in energy distribution.

Boiling is a quite different energy transfer situation, where heat is supplied at the bottom of the liquid, that energy is convected or radiated to be lost from the top of the system. With boiling the shape of the container and geometry of heat flow would be very important.

1. What is model evaporation in a closed system?

Model evaporation in a closed system refers to the process of simulating the evaporation of a liquid in a sealed environment. This is typically done using mathematical equations and computer simulations to predict the rate and amount of evaporation that will occur.

2. Why is it important to study model evaporation in a closed system?

Understanding model evaporation in a closed system is important for various scientific and engineering applications, such as predicting the behavior of chemicals in a sealed container or designing efficient evaporation systems for industrial processes.

3. How is model evaporation in a closed system different from evaporation in an open system?

In an open system, evaporation occurs in an unconfined environment where the liquid can easily escape into the surrounding atmosphere. In a closed system, the liquid is contained and cannot escape, so the evaporation process is more complex and influenced by factors such as pressure and temperature within the system.

4. What are some factors that affect model evaporation in a closed system?

Some factors that can affect model evaporation in a closed system include the initial amount of liquid, the surface area of the liquid, the temperature and pressure within the system, and the properties of the liquid itself (such as its boiling point and vapor pressure).

5. How accurate are models of evaporation in closed systems?

The accuracy of models for evaporation in closed systems depends on various factors, such as the complexity of the system and the accuracy of the input data. In general, these models can provide a good estimation of evaporation rates, but they may not account for all possible variables and may require validation through experimental data.