1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling with DE's

1. Jul 27, 2008 #1
    I have a question of show that y=x is one solution of the equation (1+x^2)y''-2xy'+2y=0) this is a question that i need to know for a coming exam. i understand and can do everything until the question gets to v''+(2/x(1+x^2))v'=0

then the question skips to IF =e^integral of (2/x(1+x^2))dx. what does this mean and where does it come from

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IF is known as the integrating factor as it one technique used to solve ODE's.

4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    ok thanks and why is the integrating factor that part of the equation?

5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The linked article explains why under the heading "Technique".

Do you follow, or does it need more explanation?

6. Jul 27, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the problem is, as you say, just to show that y= x is one solution then you don't need to do all that. If y= x, then y'= 1 and y"= 0 so the equation becomes
    (1+ x2)(0)- 2x(1)+ 2(x)= -2x+ 2x= 0. Q.E.D.

However, I suspect that the problem asks you to (1) show that y= x is a solution to the equation and then (2) find another, independent, solution.

Since y= x is a solution, we can look for another solution of the form y= xv(x) where v(x) is an unknown function of x. Now y'= xv'+ v and y"= xv"+ 2v'. Putting those into the equation, (1+ x^2)(xv"+ 2v')- 2x(xv'+ v)+ 2xv= (x+ x^3)y"+ (2+ 2x^2- 2x^2)v' - 2xv+ 2xv= (x+ x^3)v"+ 2v'= 0. While that is a second order equation, v itself does not appear in the equation (because y= x satisfies the equation) and, letting u= v', we have a first order equation, (x+ x^3)u'+ 2u= 0. Now you can use the "integrating factor" site Hootenanny gave to solve that first order equation for u, then integrate to find v and, finally, find y= xv.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?