Modeling with DE's

• Thread starter franky2727
  • Start date
I have a question of show that y=x is one solution of the equation (1+x^2)y''-2xy'+2y=0) this is a question that i need to know for a coming exam. i understand and can do everything until the question gets to v''+(2/x(1+x^2))v'=0

then the question skips to IF =e^integral of (2/x(1+x^2))dx. what does this mean and where does it come from

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a question of show that y=x is one solution of the equation (1+x^2)y''-2xy'+2y=0) this is a question that i need to know for a coming exam. i understand and can do everything until the question gets to v''+(2/x(1+x^2))v'=0

then the question skips to IF =e^integral of (2/x(1+x^2))dx. what does this mean and where does it come from
IF is known as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor" [Broken] as it one technique used to solve ODE's.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok thanks and why is the integrating factor that part of the equation?

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ok thanks and why is the integrating factor that part of the equation?
The linked article explains why under the heading "Technique".

Do you follow, or does it need more explanation?

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

If the problem is, as you say, just to show that y= x is one solution then you don't need to do all that. If y= x, then y'= 1 and y"= 0 so the equation becomes
(1+ x2)(0)- 2x(1)+ 2(x)= -2x+ 2x= 0. Q.E.D.

However, I suspect that the problem asks you to (1) show that y= x is a solution to the equation and then (2) find another, independent, solution.

Since y= x is a solution, we can look for another solution of the form y= xv(x) where v(x) is an unknown function of x. Now y'= xv'+ v and y"= xv"+ 2v'. Putting those into the equation, (1+ x^2)(xv"+ 2v')- 2x(xv'+ v)+ 2xv= (x+ x^3)y"+ (2+ 2x^2- 2x^2)v' - 2xv+ 2xv= (x+ x^3)v"+ 2v'= 0. While that is a second order equation, v itself does not appear in the equation (because y= x satisfies the equation) and, letting u= v', we have a first order equation, (x+ x^3)u'+ 2u= 0. Now you can use the "integrating factor" site Hootenanny gave to solve that first order equation for u, then integrate to find v and, finally, find y= xv.