Proving A x (BUC) = (A x B) U (B x C) in Modern Algebra

• Thread starter OhyesOhno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the statement A x (BUC) = (A x B) U (B x C), where A, B, and C are sets and U represents the union operation. The person asking for help is unsure how to prove it, but the expert provides an example using specific sets and explains that the statement is actually incorrect and should be A x (BUC) = (A x B) U (A x C). The expert also suggests proving the statement by showing that the elements on both sides are the same. Overall, both sides of the equation represent the same concept in different ways.
OhyesOhno
This problem involves modern algebra sets... particularly on cartesian products... so here's the problem:

Prove that A x (BUC) = (A x B) U (B x C)

Note that U here is 'union'

How do I prove that?? I know by the law of De Morgen that A U (BnC) = AUB n AUC but I don't know how to prove that one...

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmmm I'm not so sure that this statement is true.

Suppose C = {1}, B={0}, A={37,38}.

Then Ax(BUC) = Ax{0,1} = {(37,0), (37,1), (38,0), (38,1)}. Meanwhile (AxB)U(BxC) = {(37,0),(38,0)}U{(0,1} = {(37,0),(38,0),(0,1)}

Did you happen to mean Ax(BUC) = (AxB)U(AxC) ?

Oh yeah, sorry about that. Ax(BUC) = (AxB)U(AxC) is what I meant. Sorry!

Pick an element (x,y) of the left side and show it's in the right side and conversely. If you describe the contents of the two sides of the equation in words, you'll find you are saying the same thing.

1. What is "Modern Algebra" and how is it different from traditional algebra?

Modern Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It is different from traditional algebra in that it focuses more on abstract structures and their properties, rather than using specific numbers and equations to solve problems.

2. What are some common applications of Modern Algebra in real life?

Modern Algebra has many practical applications, such as cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It also has uses in physics, chemistry, and engineering for modeling and solving complex systems.

3. How is Modern Algebra used in other areas of mathematics?

Modern Algebra is used extensively in other areas of mathematics, such as geometry, number theory, and topology. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in these fields.

4. What are some key concepts in Modern Algebra that students should focus on?

Some key concepts in Modern Algebra include groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. It is also important to understand concepts such as homomorphisms, isomorphisms, and substructures.

5. What are some tips for solving Modern Algebra problems?

When solving Modern Algebra problems, it is important to first understand the properties and definitions of the algebraic structures involved. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use different techniques, such as finding patterns or using algebraic identities, to solve it.