Recommended Textbooks for Quantum Field Theory and Antiparticles

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for graduate-level textbooks on quantum field theory and antiparticles. The books mentioned include Ryder, Bailin-Love, Schwartz, and Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields. The concept of "rigorous" treatment of QFT is also brought up, with Scharff's Finite Quantum Electrodynamics being suggested as a more rigorous approach to perturbative QED. The conversation also touches on the idea of a specific focus on antiparticles, with the suggestion to start with Schwartz's book.
Funestis
Hello All,

I was wondering if anybody could recommend some really good, graduate-level textbooks or sources on quantum field theory and antiparticles. I've browsed through several QFT titles, but if anyone has any books they think would be a good grad-level introduction I'd be grateful.

I'm also hoping to find a textbook devoted to anti-particles, but that has been a lot harder to find. At most I've only found a chapter or half a chapter here or there on the subject. Does anyone know of any books that deal with this topic in a rigorous fashion?

Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd start with Ryder or Bailin-Love. More recently there's also the great book by Schwartz. For all the details after having a first introduction the best is Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields (3 vols.).

I don't know, what you mean by "rigorous". There's no fully rigorous treatment of QFT (at least not for realistic theories in 1+3 space-time dimensions). For a somewhat more rigorous treatment of perturbative QED, see Scharff, Finite Quantum Electrodynamics.

vanhees71 said:
I'd start with Ryder or Bailin-Love. More recently there's also the great book by Schwartz. For all the details after having a first introduction the best is Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields (3 vols.).

I don't know, what you mean by "rigorous". There's no fully rigorous treatment of QFT (at least not for realistic theories in 1+3 space-time dimensions). For a somewhat more rigorous treatment of perturbative QED, see Scharff, Finite Quantum Electrodynamics.

Thank you! Just to be clear, you're talking about 'Intro to Gauge Field Theory' and 'Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model' right? Those sound like just what I was looking for.

What I meant was that I'm looking for something that's written for a technical or scientific audience. I've come across a lot of things that describe anti-particles in a quantitative way, or sort of give a general overview without delving into the minute details and mathematics. The work that I have managed to find that goes into detail mathematically has been limited to portions of chapters in larger books about particle physics, or something similar. I was hoping that there is a book out there that focuses on anti-particles specifically, but if one exists I haven't been able to find it.

I think you should start with Schwartz. What do you mean by "specific focus on anti-particles"? As you'll learn soon, local microcausal relativistic QFT forces you to introduce particles and anti-particles. You can also manage to make special constraints on the fields such that a particle is its own anti-particle (like the photon).

vanhees71 said:
I think you should start with Schwartz. What do you mean by "specific focus on anti-particles"? As you'll learn soon, local microcausal relativistic QFT forces you to introduce particles and anti-particles. You can also manage to make special constraints on the fields such that a particle is its own anti-particle (like the photon).

Another set of notes by Schwartz, which are like a short version of his book is http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic521209.files/QFT-Schwartz.pdf.

Related to Recommended Textbooks for Quantum Field Theory and Antiparticles

What are the best textbooks for my field of study?

The best textbooks for your field of study depend on your specific interests and needs. It's important to research and compare different textbooks to find the one that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics you need to learn. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with professors or peers in your field for their recommendations.

Can I purchase used textbooks?

Yes, you can purchase used textbooks. This can be a more cost-effective option, but make sure to carefully check the condition of the book before purchasing. Also, be aware that there may be newer editions available with updated information.

Are e-books a good option for textbooks?

E-books can be a convenient and environmentally friendly option for textbooks. However, it's important to consider your own preferences and learning style. Some people may find it easier to study from a physical book rather than a digital version.

How can I find the most affordable textbooks?

There are a few ways to find affordable textbooks. You can compare prices between different retailers, look for used or rental options, or even try to borrow the textbook from a library. Additionally, some schools or organizations may offer textbook aid or discounts to students.

What should I do with my textbooks after I am done with them?

You can choose to keep your textbooks for future reference or sell them to other students. Some schools or bookstores may also have buy-back programs where you can sell your textbooks back for a portion of the original price. If you no longer need the textbooks, consider donating them to a library or charity organization.