Modified Euclidean Algorithm proof

In summary, the algorithm for finding the greatest common divisor (gcd) involves repeatedly swapping and subtracting the two numbers until one of them becomes zero, at which point the remaining number is the gcd. The algorithm assumes that the first number is greater than or equal to the second number.
Robb
Homework Statement
See attached problem 1 parts (b) and (c)
Relevant Equations
b = ka + r (from part a)
gcd(f_n,f_{n-1})
gcd[f_{n-1},f_n - f_{n-1}]
gcd[(f_n - f_{n-1}), (f_{n-2} - f_{n-1})]
gcd[(f_{n-2} - f_{n-1}),f_{n-3} - f_{n-2})]
gcd[(f_{n-2} - f_{n-3}),(f_{n-4} - f_{n-3})]
gcd(f_2,f_1), where f_2 = 1, f_1 = 1

I assume LateX is not working yet. Not sure if I am on point here or not. Please advise. Thanks!

Attachments

• hw8.pdf
    267.2 KB · Views: 229
Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:
gcd(f_n,f_{n-1})
gcd[f_{n-1},f_n - f_{n-1}]
gcd[(f_n - f_{n-1}), (f_{n-2} - f_{n-1})]
gcd[(f_{n-2} - f_{n-1}),f_{n-3} - f_{n-2})]
gcd[(f_{n-2} - f_{n-3}),(f_{n-4} - f_{n-3})]
gcd(f_2,f_1), where f_2 = 1, f_1 = 1

I assume LateX is not working yet. Not sure if I am on point here or not. Please advise. Thanks!

Here is your submission done in PF LaTeX:
$$ \begin{array}{l}
\gcd(f_n,f_{n-1})\\
\gcd[f_{n-1},f_n - f_{n-1}]\\
\gcd[(f_n - f_{n-1}), (f_{n-2} - f_{n-1})]\\
\gcd[(f_{n-2} - f_{n-1}),f_{n-3} - f_{n-2})] \\
\gcd[(f_{n-2} - f_{n-3}),(f_{n-4} - f_{n-3})] \\
\vdots \\
\gcd(f_2,f_1), \text{where} f_2 = 1, f_1 = 1
\end{array} $$

It certainly works perfectly well. To make sure LaTeX knows when to start and end, use either "##" at the start and the end, to get an in-line formula or equation, or use "$ $" (with no space between the two $s) at the start and the end to get a displayed equation. I used "$_nospace_$" and got nicely-aligned results by inputting it all as an "array". Just right-click on the displayed output and ask for display of math as tex, to see the commands involved.

Shoot, I knew that but forgot. Thanks!

When you prove something, do specify the assumptions. Right now, the several rows of symbols you typed (tex or no tex) have close to zero meaning to anyone.

It is not the task of the person who is grading your work to translate it from scratch.

Under which assumptions do you proceed to the next line?
What is the meaning of the last line?!
Why does this algorithm terminate?
Why is the result correct?

Likes SammyS
I see that the new PF does not include the Problem Statement nor the Relevant Equations in the Quoted Portion when using the Reply feature. Here's a snip from the hw8.pdf document that you uploaded.

And you need help with Problem 1 parts (b) and (c) .
Let's see an attempt.The following heading was on the hw8.pdf document that you uploaded.

I suppose we (PF HW Helpers) should use our usual restraint when providing help, in case the due date is extended, or in case late work receives credit.

Homework was due 3/28. I received help from my instructor on part (a) of problem 1. Unfortunately, no late credit allowed.

The following is an attempt although it seams to me that the sequences that represent a & b converge to zero so I am confused. There is an assumption a>b for each line.

##(f_n,f_{n+1})## assume a>b
##(f_{n+1}, f_{n+1} - f_n)##
##(f_{n+1} - f_n,f_n - f_{n-1})##
##(f_n - f_{n-1},f_{n-2} - f_{n-1})##
##(f_{n-2} - f_{n-1},f_{n-3} - f_{n-2})##

Robb said:
Homework was due 3/28. I received help from my instructor on part (a) of problem 1. Unfortunately, no late credit allowed.

The following is an attempt although it seams to me that the sequences that represent a & b converge to zero so I am confused. There is an assumption a>b for each line.
Actually the requirement is that a ≤ b, and that's not so much an assumption as it is a step in the algorithm.​
##(f_n,f_{n+1})## assume a>b
##(f_{n+1}, f_{n+1} - f_n)##
##(f_{n+1} - f_n,f_n - f_{n-1})##
##(f_n - f_{n-1},f_{n-2} - f_{n-1})##
##(f_{n-2} - f_{n-1},f_{n-3} - f_{n-2})##
Whatever the ##f_i## refer to, I don't see how that makes sense.

See how the algorithm works for various situations. The example in part (a) is not all that enlightening, although it does show repeatedly subtracting 2 (a total of 9 times).
gcd(19, 2) Initially: a = 19, b = 2.​
Step 1: says to swap a and b.​
Now: a = 2 and b = 19 so b − a = 17.​
Now: a = 2 and b = 17 so b − a = 15.​
eventually you get to:​
Now: a = 2 and b = 5 so b − a = 3.​
Now: a = 2 and b = 3 so b − a = 1. So after the 9th subtraction of 2, we will have b < a .​
Now: a = 2 and b = 1 . We have now done integer division by repeated subtraction and found:​
19 divided by 2 has a quotient of 9 with a remainder of 1.​
Swap a and b. (The fact that we had b < a indicated that b = 1 was the remainder.)​
Now: a = 1 and b = 2 so b − a = 1.​
Now: a = 1 and b = 0 so Swap a and b, but note that the remainder is zero for 2 divided by 1.​
Now: a = 0 and b = 1 so: Return 1. This is gcd(19, 2) .​

Why not try the algorithm for some other specific cases:

gcd(19, 8), gcd(120, 84), gcd(42, 36), gcd(42, 30), gcd(12, 42), etc.

1. What is the Modified Euclidean Algorithm?

The Modified Euclidean Algorithm is a mathematical method used to find the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two integers. It is an extension of the Euclidean Algorithm and is particularly useful for finding the GCD of large numbers.

2. How does the Modified Euclidean Algorithm work?

The Modified Euclidean Algorithm works by repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and using the remainder as the new divisor. This process continues until the remainder is 0, at which point the last non-zero remainder is the GCD of the original two numbers.

3. What is the proof for the Modified Euclidean Algorithm?

The proof for the Modified Euclidean Algorithm involves showing that the final remainder obtained after applying the algorithm is the same as the GCD of the original two numbers. This is done using mathematical induction and properties of divisibility.

4. How is the proof for the Modified Euclidean Algorithm different from the proof for the Euclidean Algorithm?

The proof for the Modified Euclidean Algorithm is similar to the proof for the Euclidean Algorithm, but it involves an additional step of subtracting multiples of the smaller number from the larger number to obtain a smaller remainder. This step is necessary to ensure that the final remainder is the GCD of the original two numbers.

5. What are the applications of the Modified Euclidean Algorithm?

The Modified Euclidean Algorithm has various applications in number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It is used to find the GCD of two numbers, which is important in simplifying fractions, solving Diophantine equations, and determining the multiplicative inverse in modular arithmetic. It is also used in the RSA encryption algorithm for secure communication.